record owner from parent-table

Wish to see a specific feature/change in future releases? Feel free to post it here, and if it gets enough "likes", we'd definitely include it in future releases!
sjohn
Veteran Member

record owner from parent-table

Post by sjohn » 2018-06-28 11:04

It would be very useful, if you could have an extra checkbox beside the "Inherit access permissions".

The meaning should be : if checked - then owner of the record is set to the owner of the parent-record and NOT the actual user.

Scenario :
You are a sports club ( or whatever club ). Could be a tennis club.

Each member is created as a user in the system.
Each member is created as a rcord in a parent table, and the member is set as owner of the record.
Then you could have one or more child-tables.
One table is a table with economic transactions. ( member fees, fees for tournaments and so, and then the payments from the member ).
It is the cashier for the club that makes all the transactions, and he should be able to make them without being forced to log in and out as the different member he need to make a transaction on.
The child table is set with the new option "Set owner from parent-table".

This means that the cashier can make transactions in the child table which he is allowed to edit, and only this table he have access to edit.

The member that is set to have view-access to own records can see only his own member record (parent-table ) AND he can also see the economic transaction in the child-table as the ownership is from the parent-table. But he should of course, not have access to edit the records in the child-table.

This way, a cashier can easily make transactions for all members.
The members can only see own records and only his own transactions ( even if he is not the creator - but he is anyway the owner. from parent-table )

I think this is a very common thing, but I have not found a way to make this.
I would therefore suggest, that all this could be solved just by clicking a checkbox, and then the system should set the owner of a child-record NOT as the logged-in-user BUT from the parent-record.

a.gneady
Site Admin

Re: record owner from parent-table

Post by a.gneady » 2018-07-04 06:20

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I'll consider it for implementation in future versions. It depends on implementing another feature though, which is the ability to have multiple owners per record.
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

sjohn
Veteran Member

Post by sjohn » 2018-07-04 08:03

I am very happy, that you will consider this. I have really tried to think of a solution that could solve this problem, but i haven't been able to.
I think it is a quite common scenario, that you have some personal information, that another person/group should maintain, and that the user him/herself should be able to view, but not edit.

In case of no multiple ownership, then it could be like suggested : The system should set the owner of a child-record NOT as the logged-in-user BUT from the parent-record.

In case of multiple ownership, then it could be : The system should set the owner of a child-record BOTH as the logged-in-user AND user from the parent-record.

I think this will be a great feature for clubs ( the economic transactions ), but also for firms, that has information about their employees : The employee ( and only he/her ) should be able to view all information ( but not be able to edit some information ) , and then a HR department should be able to edit pert of the information.

Could also be a firm where a group of employees had acces to own information, and then a secretary maintained some of the information - then the ownership should still be the employee responsible - maybe as the secretary also as owner.

I hope this will be implemented. Even if I like the possibility to use hooks, I think not all enhancements should be made by using hooks.

sjohn
Veteran Member

Post by sjohn » 2018-11-11 07:08

I have found this to be a functionality, that is needed in most applications.

It should be a setting either in the application where it should be a setting for a table - or - it could be a setting for the table in the admin area.

There should be 3 options instead of the1 "option" that we have now :

1 - set owner of new records to logged-in user ( as now )
2 - set owner of new records to owner of parent-record ( if not a child-table then option 1 is used )
3 - set owner of new records to owner of parent record AND to logged-in user ( if not a child-table then option 1 is used )

This will give the oppurtunity to have a table ( parent ) with names and other information that could be public.
Then a child table with information that only the user had access to ( create view edit )
An additional table that both the user and the manager had access to ( create view edit )
And an additional table that only the manager has access to edit but that also the user could view ( the manager could be the cashier for a club )

This way a manager could create transactions on a user, and where only himself and the user are allowed to view and eventual edit ( edit should probably only be set for the cashier ) these records.

A public user will be allowed to see the names and maybe other information in the table view, and when clicking on a record he will see the detail view with maybe some more information.

But he will not see that there is additional tables, unless a table is set to public view.

A user that is logged in, will also see the names in the table and when clicking on a record ( other than his "own" ) he will see the detail view.

He will not have access to other tables.

If a user is logged in and he clicks on his own record he will in detail-view have access to information in the other tables ( for his own records )
He will have access to eventual view ( his own ) information in the table with economic transactions, but he will not be allowed to edit these information.

All this should be possible if it was possible that we had the options 2 +3 also - for creating new records.

Hope this will be supported

a.gneady
Site Admin

Post by a.gneady » 2018-11-21 13:36

Thanks for the very thoughtful details, @sjohn. I know this suggestion was made a long time ago, but I still plan to include it in future releases. Your insights here would certainly help make it better.
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

SkayyHH
Veteran Member

Post by SkayyHH » 2021-04-04 07:44

I would like to bring that up again. I would also be very happy about such an opportunity. An additional option would be great to delete child records together with the parent records or to assign them together to another owner.

a.gneady
Site Admin

Post by a.gneady » 2021-04-12 13:30

It's planned now for the next major release (AppGini 6.0). Stay tuned!