administrator belonging more groups - it would be very useful

Wish to see a specific feature/change in future releases? Feel free to post it here, and if it gets enough "likes", we'd definitely include it in future releases!
facos79
Veteran Member

administrator belonging more groups - it would be very useful

Post by facos79 » 2018-05-17 22:01

It would be very useful if the administrator could belong to more than one group in order to insert data into a table and all the users belonging to the table group could view, modify the data. Is there any way to do this ?

---

Sarebbe molto utile se l'amministratore potesse appartenere a piu' gruppi in modo da poter inserire dati in una tabella e tutti gli utenti appartenenti al gruppo della tabella potessero visualizzare, modificare tali dati. c'e' un modo per fare questo ?

pbottcher
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: administrator belonging more groups - it would be very useful

Post by pbottcher » 2018-05-18 19:59

Hi,

how would you like to handle this if the admin belongs to group1, group2 and group3. Which group should be used for the data entered, so that only people from the group would be allowed to see/edit this data?
Any help offered comes with the best of intentions. Use it at your own risk. In any case, please make a backup of your existing environment before applying any changes.

facos79
Veteran Member

Post by facos79 » 2018-05-18 20:47

Hello,
I think that the administrator, during the insertion of the record, could choose which group to assign the data entry.
This would avoid having to make the attribution of records later.

I mean it would be nice and useful if the administrator or a particular user could add records in a table and in the insertion phase decide which group to read, write or modify that record.

This would avoid having to subsequently manage the attribution of record authorization.

As it is now instead I am forced to create a user for each active group and log in with that user to insert records that I want to show to that particular group. And if there were 100 different groups? I would be forced to create 100 different users each belonging to a group.

pbottcher
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by pbottcher » 2018-05-19 07:30

Hi,

I think this a complex theme, as you may want to have such a possibility for some cases, but for many cases you do not need this.
Aslo I do not think that you need to have a separate group for each user, as you can set the permission to see only the records that user owns. So you would need to set the record-owner correctly after insert.
If, like in your case you have 100 records/users, honestly I would not do that via a front end, I would rather use an SQL statement to handle this in the backend.

One thought, if you could name your record via a naming convention so, that it would contain the name of the user, you could extrat that name from the record and change the ownership of the record to the user programatically.
Any help offered comes with the best of intentions. Use it at your own risk. In any case, please make a backup of your existing environment before applying any changes.