Looking to load data from external sources

The recommended method of customizing your AppGini-generated application is through hooks. But sometimes you might need to add functionality not accessible through hooks. You can discuss this here.
jmacdougall

Looking to load data from external sources

Post by jmacdougall » 2021-08-17 03:39

I am creating an app that is essentially a CRM but I would like to show live data in table or metrics form somehow that lives on another website. For example, we have an antivirus vendor. in one table I would like to like to pull in data to show LIVE how many endpoints that vendor's software is installed on. in the same table, different column, I want to show data from another vendor such as how many endpoints backup software is installed on. Our various vendors pretty much all offer the ability to interface with something called "REST" which I believe is some sort of API. I would like to be able to view the installed software for my clients end points in a table view that I can sort by Customer or by the Vendor. Perhaps I am explaining my needs in a terrible manner but, I am starting out here. I know exactly what I want to achieve and really want to try and get there myself with the help of the AG community.

Is it possible to pull data from external sources?

Thanks!
Jeff
Jeff MacDougall

pbottcher
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: Looking to load data from external sources

Post by pbottcher » 2021-08-17 20:31

Hi,

it is possible to catch data from a different source and add this data to your table. You could do this e.g. in the _init function, so that you populate your table with the relevant information. Dependend on the frequency/load of the request you might consider a check to reload the actual data or implement some logic to get only diff data.
Any help offered comes with the best of intentions. Use it at your own risk. In any case, please make a backup of your existing environment before applying any changes.

jmacdougall

Post by jmacdougall » 2021-08-18 04:07

Thank you. I have not a clue where to start with this but am eager to figure it out.
Jeff MacDougall

jmacdougall

Post by jmacdougall » 2021-09-02 00:11

Is there anyone on the boards that would be willing to show me an example of how this can work? TIA.
Jeff MacDougall