Automatically set index for dropdown (Lookup field)

The recommended method of customizing your AppGini-generated application is through hooks. But sometimes you might need to add functionality not accessible through hooks. You can discuss this here.
pfrumkin
Veteran Member

Automatically set index for dropdown (Lookup field)

Post by pfrumkin » 2021-01-21 23:57

Use Case
Edit and save a record, then click a button to create a new record based on a handful of values in this original record.

One of the fields I want to prepopulate from the original record to this new record is a Lookup field. So click the button to create the new record, I want this dropdown to be preselected to match the original record. I am trying to do this in the tablename-dv hook. I have this code <snipped> in the -dv hook

Code: Select all

ob_start(); ?>
<script>
	$j(function() {
		$j('#Donor-container').select2('val','<?php echo $donor?>');
	})
</script>
<?php
$new_layout = ob_get_contents();
ob_end_clean();
I can see by page View Source that the $donor value is the index I want, so that value is getting set in the hook PHP and sent to the page. I can't figure out how to trick the Donor-container to set the value. One approach I have not looked at is doing a record copy, then clearing values I want to clear, so maybe that's better. But I don't want to save the record to the database immediately, I want the user to do edits prior to save. Here is the generated code for the Donor field I'm trying to set. I don't know enough JQuery to understand these ins and outs.

Code: Select all

function Donor_reload() {

$j("#Donor-container").select2({
		/* initial default value */
		initSelection: function(e, c) {
			$j.ajax({
				url: 'ajax_combo.php',
				dataType: 'json',
				data: { id: AppGini.current_Donor.value, t: 'Vehicles', f: 'Donor' },
				success: function(resp) {
					c({
						id: resp.results[0].id,
						text: resp.results[0].text
					});
					$j('[name="Donor"]').val(resp.results[0].id);
					$j('[id=Donor-container-readonly]').html('<span id="Donor-match-text">' + resp.results[0].text + '</span>');
					if(resp.results[0].id == '{empty_value}') { $j('.btn[id=Donors_view_parent]').hide(); }else{ $j('.btn[id=Donors_view_parent]').show(); }

if(typeof(Donor_update_autofills) == 'function') Donor_update_autofills();
				}
			});
		},
		width: '100%',
		formatNoMatches: function(term) { /* */ return 'No matches found!'; },
		minimumResultsForSearch: 5,
		loadMorePadding: 200,
		ajax: {
			cache: true,
			data: function(term, page) { /* */ return { s: term, p: page, t: 'Vehicles', f: 'Donor' }; },
			results: function(resp, page) { /* */ return resp; }
		},
		escapeMarkup: function(str) { /* */ return str; }
	}).on('change', function(e) {
		AppGini.current_Donor.value = e.added.id;
		AppGini.current_Donor.text = e.added.text;
		$j('[name="Donor"]').val(e.added.id);
		if(e.added.id == '{empty_value}') { $j('.btn[id=Donors_view_parent]').hide(); }else{ $j('.btn[id=Donors_view_parent]').show(); }
	});
	if(!$j("#Donor-container").length) {
		$j.ajax({
			data: { id: AppGini.current_Donor.value, t: 'Vehicles', f: 'Donor' },
			success: function(resp) {
				$j('[name="Donor"]').val(resp.results[0].id);
				$j('[id=Donor-container-readonly]').html('<span id="Donor-match-text">' + resp.results[0].text + '</span>');
				if(resp.results[0].id == '{empty_value}') { $j('.btn[id=Donors_view_parent]').hide(); }else{ $j('.btn[id=Donors_view_parent]').show(); }

}
		});
	}
}
Thanks in advance!

~Paul
AppGini 5.84

pfrumkin
Veteran Member

Re: Automatically set index for dropdown (Lookup field)

Post by pfrumkin » 2021-01-26 21:24

I solved this by adding a parameter to the querystring when creating the new record. Inspiration was from the AppGini Helper Library documentation (thanks Jan!) https://appgini.bizzworxx.de/appgini/ho ... able-view/.

On the page with the original record, I have a button to create the new record. This is an intermediate step, going to a PHP script to do some other processing, then redirecting to the new record in detail view (with the add_new=1 parameter to create a new record). The magic is that when I do the redirect, to add &filterer_Donor=5399, where Donor is the field in the table and 5399 is the index of the Donor record I want to assign to my new record.

~Paul

pfrumkin
Veteran Member

Re: Automatically set index for dropdown (Lookup field)

Post by pfrumkin » 2021-01-27 14:05

One last point, I found this very helpful explanation for why I couldn't get this to work, https://select2.org/programmatic-contro ... lear-items. Basically the AJAX had not run yet to get the data and populate the control, so the control wasn't there for me to set.

~Paul