Password matching problem when accessing DB from an App

The recommended method of customizing your AppGini-generated application is through hooks. But sometimes you might need to add functionality not accessible through hooks. You can discuss this here.
pilandros
Veteran Member

Password matching problem when accessing DB from an App

Post by pilandros » 2020-11-03 16:33

I need to access the DataBase from an App and prior to ver 5.90 I use to do the query:
" ... WHERE memberID='$user' AND passMD5='".md5($password)."' AND isApproved=1 AND isBanned=0 " and it always worked.

I can see that the new version 5.90 is using password_hash($password,PASSWORD_DEFAULT) so I am using this instead but I can not get it to run because the results are different.
The hashed password with the function does not match the one saved in the table (which was created/updated with the 5.90 version).
What am I missing?

onoehring
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: Password matching problem when accessing DB from an App

Post by onoehring » 2020-11-13 07:14

Hi pilandros,

can you please elaborate a little more? If the new method is indeed (and I believe you) the method AG uses, it should work (otherwise we all would probably be locked out of our applications ;-) ).
If I am correct, once a user has logged into the application his password is not MD5 anymore but sha256 - maybe that is the reason? If so, your original query might need a change.

Olaf