Query Another Application Database Then Populate Add Form

The recommended method of customizing your AppGini-generated application is through hooks. But sometimes you might need to add functionality not accessible through hooks. You can discuss this here.
ndunn

Query Another Application Database Then Populate Add Form

Post by ndunn » 2020-02-11 18:16

I am building an application in AppGini that contains several tables, the core table being 'people'. The 'people' (and associated phone, address, etc) exist in a separate application database. To the ADD screen/form I would like to add a form/select list that queries the external database, populates the select list, and provides a button [POPULATE FORM FIELDS] based upon this selection. The select list would simply show Last, First, Middle Name. Selecting a person, then clicking [POPULATE FORM FIELDS] would fill the AppGini form with values from external database for the selected person: first_name, last_name, middle_name, phone, address1, address2, city, state, zipcode, email_address, etc.

Is this possible? I am also open to other suggested ways of accomplishing this. I simply want to eliminate users from having to fill out all information a 2nd time so as to increase efficiency and guard against data entry errors.

Nathan

pbottcher
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: Query Another Application Database Then Populate Add Form

Post by pbottcher » 2020-02-11 20:41

Hi,

can you explain what the other database is. Is it a MySQL (MariaDB)? Is it running on the same server?
As you say here you want basically reproduce the auto-fill feature, correct?
Any help offered comes with the best of intentions. Use it at your own risk. In any case, please make a backup of your existing environment before applying any changes.