AUTOMATIC CODE

Discussions related to customizing hooks. Hooks are documented at http://bigprof.com/appgini/help/advanced-topics/hooks/
Moh Youba
Veteran Member

AUTOMATIC CODE

Post by Moh Youba » 2021-05-03 01:17

Hello

I am using AG 5.94.

I have a field called "code client", I want to generate incremented automatic code like this "AC/001/21".

- "AC" is initial of company name
- "001" is numer of client
- "21" is year

Any help please.

onoehring
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: AUTOMATIC CODE

Post by onoehring » 2021-05-03 16:41

Hi,

well, probably we need more information like what are your field names and considerations of this:
If AC is the initial, this is saved as an external field - ok, no problem.
001 .. is 002 next? What if you have 5 clients and suddenly client 3 drops out? What if you have more than 999 clients for a company?
21 is easy to take from the system year... what if the customer is "old" or became a customer right before new year (so in the last year)?

In every case, I want to warn here to use calculated fields as identifiers. You might want to consider using your suggested values as "hints" (speaking identifier), but a real, non-speaking unique identifier (primary key, autoincrement).

Olaf

pfrumkin
Veteran Member

Post by pfrumkin » 2021-05-03 17:12

Hi,

I had a similar need. I created a company table with a year column and a number (of entries) column. If there is an entry for the company/year, get that number, add one for this entry, then increment that number counter. If no entry, use 1 and create the record for that company/year, number = 1.

I also built a little padding utility to insert the leading 0's in the string (two if < 10, one if < 100).

Olaf asked excellent questions you need to answer for yourself - what if you remove an entry in the middle, and what if you get > 999.

Good luck.

~Paul

Moh Youba
Veteran Member

Post by Moh Youba » 2021-05-04 00:25

Hi guys

Thank you to all for your support. in my case, I have another field called status, no remove o entry, if entry is no longer in use, it will be mark as expired

Regards

onoehring
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by onoehring » 2021-05-04 10:15

Hi,

just to point you into some direction ..
Please note, that saving calculated values is not a good idea.

Still .. code not tested - of course.
1. Define your divider (to make later changes easier)

Code: Select all

$divider = '/';
2. use a sql statement to count how many clients your company already has

$clientnumber = sqlValue("select count (primaryKey) from your_client_tablename were companyFieldInitial ='" . $data('initial') . "'";
$clientnumber++;
$clientnumber = str_pad($clientnumber, 3, '0', STR_PAD_LEFT);     // add padding 0
3. concat everything into your targetstring

$targetstring .= $data('initial') . $divider . $clientnumber  . $divider . date("y") ;
Olaf

Moh Youba
Veteran Member

Post by Moh Youba » 2021-05-04 16:06

Hi
yep ! I think this is a good starting point for me, let check and back to you.

Thank you