AppGini app to exe

Discussions related to customizing hooks. Hooks are documented at http://bigprof.com/appgini/help/advanced-topics/hooks/
Moh Youba
Veteran Member

AppGini app to exe

Post by Moh Youba » 2021-03-17 17:59

Hello

Is is possible to convert app created with AppGini v5.94 into exe (Desktop windows app)?

Thank

pfrumkin
Veteran Member

Re: AppGini app to exe

Post by pfrumkin » 2021-03-18 15:48

Possible, sure. Easy, not so much. Convert is probably too soft of a word. Just off the top you would have to build forms from the web pages. I guess the good news is that there is some separation of UI and buisness logic, but I think still a lot of work. Optimally you would want to be able to reuse existing code as much as possible and I don't see that. I don't know about MySQL interfaces but I imagine they exist. You would also have to pay attention to Windows architectures (Microsoft runtime licensing?), probably not too hard but now your browser deals with that. And then you are locked into a version of AG, that maintenance could be a nightmare, keeping the forms in synch with AG updates. I don't see a Convert button that does this automatically.

Maybe the smart people here see an easier path. Interesting thought exercise. :)

~Paul

D Oliveira
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by D Oliveira » 2021-03-18 19:47

maybe just create a .exe that simulates a browser without the top bar enabled, then load the page directly to your domain, that would still require internet connectivity but it works.

onoehring
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by onoehring » 2021-03-19 06:43

Hi,

for me, D Oliveira's idea sounds pretty descent as AG is not supposed to be a local application.
If you want local, set up Xammp or something similar and have it run in the browser, using local resources. This way you are compromising the AG feature to easily build web applications - which makes me wonder, why you are using AG. There are several other database systems that can be used to develop local databases - MS Access (to name just one that has a nice price/functionality value imho - at least compared to others).

My suggestion is that you should think of the use case you need your application for. If web access is needed, consider AG, if only local, consider else. Security might be a point to think about as well.

Olaf

hgarbe
Veteran Member

Post by hgarbe » 2021-04-27 22:32

Know this post is older than one month, but I wanted to add a point: pwa.
Chrome supports PWA installed as local "application" at least lookalikes.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answe ... ktop&hl=en

SkayyHH
Veteran Member

Post by SkayyHH » 2021-04-29 09:45

Hi,

php desktop does that:
https://github.com/cztomczak/phpdesktop

or "ExeOutput for PHP". But is not error free.

Greetings, Kai

Moh Youba
Veteran Member

Post by Moh Youba » 2021-04-29 22:51

Hi there
Thank you guys !