How to Schedule E-mail Notifications?

Discussions related to customizing hooks. Hooks are documented at http://bigprof.com/appgini/help/advanced-topics/hooks/
TheCodeRed

How to Schedule E-mail Notifications?

Post by TheCodeRed » 2014-05-01 15:01

I have a Sales Force (Sales team) database created and utilize the e-mails in hooks quite often. When records are added, modified, deleted or even looked at by a certain user.

I am looking to setup an e-mail notification that sends itself based on the date and criteria. Is there a way to schedule such a routine? For example, every morning at 7am, the application can check the Notification Dates field I have set up. If the Notification Date field is set to TODAY or CURDATE - it fires off that e-mail. This will prove to be useful as reminders for upcoming events and such.

Is there a way to automate this process instead of logging in every morning and having to run the routine by going into the table to allow the table_init hook to run?

This is something that I could find extremely useful as many of the applications I develop using AppGini has scheduling functionality. Thanks in advanced.

-Red

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: How to Schedule E-mail Notifications?

Post by KSan » 2014-05-01 18:21

Do you have access to cron jobs on your server?

TheCodeRed

Post by TheCodeRed » 2014-05-02 13:33

Yes, I do. I am not too familiar with Cron jobs however. I am assuming I will need to do some research. GoDaddy Linux server with Cpanel, so I should have access to that.

TheCodeRed

Post by TheCodeRed » 2014-05-12 19:34

I just wanted to update the forums that Cron Jobs is exactly how this needs to be setup. Good call Ksan. I have tested using a simple e-mail script that goes to me at certain scheduled times. These have worked successfully. I am sure each Cron Job manager is different, but utilizing the GoDaddy built in Manager allowed me to call the script with a simple 'wget' command and url of my mail script.

Thanks again for the quick and easy suggestion.

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by KSan » 2014-06-15 14:15

Great job solving this one and thanks for sharing your resolution.