Settings page for users to set options and save filters

Wish to see a specific feature/change in future releases? Feel free to post it here, and if it gets enough "likes", we'd definitely include it in future releases!
shasta59
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Settings page for users to set options and save filters

Post by shasta59 » 2013-05-16 16:06

Here is what I have implemented and may be an idea for Ahmad for a future release.

I have a settings page for users by table. (this code is no where near ready for use by anyone else but me and so will not be posted until I have time to clean it up. Also it means many changes to some files so is not for the faint of heart as it is easy to mess up an entire system with a little mistake) It also allows them to save their custom search filters to this page and creates a button with their own label so all they do is go to this page and click on their custom search button.

This allows users to individually set various look/feel options. This way they can customize the way it looks for themselves. I got tired of a few people saying things like, "I wish I could set the number of records per page." and "I wish I could have the detail view on a separate page etc."

So I wrote some code, not elegant but it works which allows the user to set these themselves by presenting them on a page. It loads before the hooks file so that any changes in the hook file are not overwritten - if same setting set in hooks file variable is not shown to user to allow them to set. All it does is set a variable for various options as found in the tablename_view.php file.

They can set, for their user account, the following: (yes some are not really necessary but what the heck)
SeperateDV
RecordsPerPage
HighlightColor (they get to pick from a selection of 50 colours)
TableIcon - pick from custom icons I made - 100 choices
QuickSearch box location
DefaultSortDirection

And for those I allow to download the data in csv format they can pick the fields they wish to download from the table as not all wanted all the fields. I got tired of telling people to just open it and delete the columns they did not want.

Alan
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Using Appgini 5.50 -