Cascading Delete

Wish to see a specific feature/change in future releases? Feel free to post it here, and if it gets enough "likes", we'd definitely include it in future releases!
rpierce
Veteran Member

Cascading Delete

Post by rpierce » 2022-08-01 14:05

It would be great if AppGini had the ability to cascade delete all children records when a parent record is deleted. Just a thought.

jsetzer
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: Cascading Delete

Post by jsetzer » 2022-08-01 14:40

Hmmm, should work.

Can you check the following settings:
  1. Grant DELETE-permission on the subtables for the user's group who is deleting the master record
  2. Check the correct setup of the lookups (as those connect a subtable's records to a master record)
  3. Option [x] Delete records even if they have children records
  4. Option [X] Allow mass delete on the master table
  5. Just for clarification: Check the PHP function TABLENAME_delete() in TABLENAME_dml.php. All related subtables should have a separate block of code, starting with // child table: SUBTABLENAME. If your code does not delete related records of certain tables, check if those tables do have a separate code-block there. If not, I guess there is a problem with setup of that specific lookup.
If all of this does not enable cascading-delete, you can still delete in _before_delete()-hook. After deleting all child-records manually you should also cleanup orphanened membership_userrecords.

PS: Another idea is creating a trigger on database level, but, personally, I prefer not creating database triggers for better (=easier) portability/migration/updates.
Kind regards,
<js />

My AppGini Blog:
https://appgini.bizzworxx.de/blog

You can help us helping you:
Please always put code fragments inside [code]...[/code] blocks for better readability

AppGini 24.10 Revision 1579 + all AppGini Helper tools

rpierce
Veteran Member

Post by rpierce » 2022-08-01 18:54

Hi Jan,

I have done the items you suggest and am able to delete the parent record but then I still have orphaned children records.

rpierce
Veteran Member

Post by rpierce » 2023-11-28 17:37

Hi Jan,

How do I write that query to delete child records in the before delete hook? I have things set the way you describe in your post, however I still get orphaned records whenever the parent record is deleted.

Ray

jsetzer
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by jsetzer » 2023-11-28 19:29

As starting point:

Given two tables A, B with B.a_id = A.id

in A_after_delete-hook you should get primary key of deleted record in $selectedID variable.

Code: Select all

$cmd = "DELETE FROM B WHERE B.a_id = '{$selectedID}'";
$eo = [];
sql($cmd, $eo);
PS: You should cleanup membership_userrecords, too.
Kind regards,
<js />

My AppGini Blog:
https://appgini.bizzworxx.de/blog

You can help us helping you:
Please always put code fragments inside [code]...[/code] blocks for better readability

AppGini 24.10 Revision 1579 + all AppGini Helper tools