Automatic versionnumber for an application

Wish to see a specific feature/change in future releases? Feel free to post it here, and if it gets enough "likes", we'd definitely include it in future releases!
onoehring
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Automatic versionnumber for an application

Post by onoehring » 2020-02-06 18:27

Hi,

I suggest that an internal counter changes, when some change is made to the datastructure (or some settings).
This value should be saved somewhere, so that it can be used from us developers easily.
Example:
a) Always let the user override the automatic setting.
b) Ask the user for a start of the version number. Let's say 1
c) when a table is created / deleted, raise a sub-number 1. This would now result in 1.1
d) If a field in a table is created / deleted, raise a sub-number 1. This would now result in 1.1.1
e) if a setting of a field is changed, a table icon changed, some language or "Apptitle"-setting changed, raise a sub-number 1. This would now result in 1.1.1.1

These are of course only suggestions, but, if written to some file (version.php?) or the database (I would think a new table is needed for this), it would be so easy to generate a nice version number where one (i.e. the customer) sees progress in development.

As the versionnumber should be able to be changed by the developer (as changes to hooks for example can not be tracked automatically), the version number needs to be accessible somehow from the AppGini UI.

Olaf

jsetzer
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: Automatic versionnumber for an application

Post by jsetzer » 2020-02-06 18:49

Hi,

You can simply do versioning by checking-in the axp file + your code into any sourcecode versioning system like CVS, SVN or others. You can even automate the process.

There are many advantages over just storing a version number. For example you can create branches to wrap a couple of changes into one set and give it a human-readable version name. Also there is integrated diff on all checked-in files, not only the axp. Even language files, table icons, hooks etc. can be handled this way. And at any time you can restore an older version, for example the exact version including all files which you have given to your customer a year ago. And you can install exactly that version for example for debugging.

Best,
Jan
Kind regards,
<js />

My AppGini Blog:
https://appgini.bizzworxx.de/blog

You can help us helping you:
Please always put code fragments inside [code]...[/code] blocks for better readability

AppGini 24.10 Revision 1579 + all AppGini Helper tools

onoehring
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: Automatic versionnumber for an application

Post by onoehring » 2020-02-07 08:01

Hi Jan,

of course one can use SVN etc. but it would make it a lot easier to (ac)count (for) changes in the application. When developing there might not be the wish to commit so often.
For now I am will be trying FolderChangesView from NirSoft ( https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/folder_changes_view.html ) to keep track of changes in files.

Olaf