Specify the Upload Directory for Image Fields

Wish to see a specific feature/change in future releases? Feel free to post it here, and if it gets enough "likes", we'd definitely include it in future releases!
gmusgrave

Specify the Upload Directory for Image Fields

Post by gmusgrave » 2015-07-02 12:37

I have a database of Children's Art with three tables. Each row in each of these tables contains an image, plus data associated with the image (Artist, Age, Date, etc.).

Each of the three tables contains a few hundred images, and growing.

Because each table is a separate collection, I'd really like the images associated with each table to be uploaded and stored in a separate directory.

Right now, all images from all tables are uploaded to, and stored in, a single directory called "images".

At this moment, it seems the only way to do this is by modifying some AppGini files with some custom code. These appear to be lib.php, defaultLang.php, and each tablenam_dml.php (thanks peebee!).

The disadvantage, as always, with custom mods to the AppGini code is that AppGini updates clobber the custom code, and it needs to be reinstated in the new version. Also there's no guarantee that the changes in the update won't break your code.

Personally, I'd like to see the upload directory as an option in AppGini on the "Media" tab where you set the field to be an "Image." The "Configure..." button brings up a number of options for this field, and this is where I think it should be able to be specified.

Maybe this can be included in a future update.

gmusgrave

Re: Specify the Upload Directory for Image Fields

Post by gmusgrave » 2015-07-02 12:56

Just wanted to add one more reason for wanting this feature: for reasons beyond my control, some of the image filenames in one collection will be the same as those in another.

So there's a naming conflict, which is most easily resolved by uploading them to separate directories.

a.gneady
Site Admin

Re: Specify the Upload Directory for Image Fields

Post by a.gneady » 2015-07-10 21:35

This is indeed on our backlog for future releases. Stay tuned!
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.