auto backup

Wish to see a specific feature/change in future releases? Feel free to post it here, and if it gets enough "likes", we'd definitely include it in future releases!
naturick
Veteran Member

auto backup

Post by naturick » 2014-07-28 16:28

Few weeks ago I have buyed my Appgini license.
Probably the best dollars I ever spent.

Now I can say something about my personal experience (beginner in web, application and not coder). This is the first

1) It would be great if Appgini can store one or more document version. So if I make a change on my .axp file, I will ever able to come back one or even more steps.

Ciao

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: auto backup

Post by KSan » 2014-08-02 17:56

I fully agree AppGini is amazing value for money. It allows me to do amazing things with near zero php knowledge!

I also think autobackup would be a good feature but until it is considered and perhaps implemented there is a nice workaround you can use (as I do...). Create a Dropbox account and move your AppGini .axp file to Dropbox. This will give you the ability to work on multiple computers while accessing the same AppGini file.

Once your file is on Dropbox, this service provides a certain number of past versions stored so you can go back in time and restore an older version. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Kerem

TheCodeRed

Re: auto backup

Post by TheCodeRed » 2014-08-25 17:37

The backups would have to be setup through the web/database server. It is pretty rare in any Technical situation that you want to depend on the same software that is functioning to the public to also do your backups. Granted the program could setup some cronjob file that would do this for you. But there is a lot more to backing up web server data than just clicking backup on a piece of software.

Honestly it is easy enough to just setup an auto source files/database backups on the web servers themselves. They already have the best backup software and procedures available. Why risk that just to have an add-on in software that is used for development? I'm not saying it is a terrible idea, I just think it would not be as useful as most people may think.

The whole point of backing up is to make sure you have a safe copy in case that software or data fails. I would not want to depend on the software that I want to restore due to failure to make a backup safely. Again, if the software goes bunk, how could you use it to restore properly?