Trick to accomplish sub menus

Got something cool to share with AppGini users? Feel free to post it here!
bambinou
Veteran Member

Trick to accomplish sub menus

Post by bambinou » 2013-07-03 15:30

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if you have a trick to accomplish this please.

I have acreated 4 icons at the main home page after the login.
The categories are:
A
B
C
D

I would like to have 4 sub categories(locations) to each of the categories, any idea how to do this please?

For example,

When the user clicks on "A" I would like to give the choice of 4 locations, each location being linked to it's own table.

Do you have a trick for this please(apart from hard coding the lot)?

Thank you,

Ben

shasta59
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: Trick to accomplish sub menus

Post by shasta59 » 2013-07-10 15:20

Hello

I am working on something like this. When a user moves his cursor over an item on the home page I am having it present a menu of items to select from. This has allowed me more menu choices rather than having a lot of blocks on the home page. It is in alpha right now as I am trying to find the best method to do this with the least overhead. (It is not pretty and breaks some ease of use guideline but hey who cares).

Sorry but this has a priority for me of extremely low and I do not expect to have mine fully working before Nov/Dec of this year based upon current timelines. It does work but is not very efficient. I put what comes up in the menus based upon a admin settings page which sets variables for the menu content allowing me very quick control over what shows in what menu without having to recode anything. It is based upon the block the cursor is over, and presents a menu for that block. This has allowed one function to do all the menus by looking at the variable related to the block the cursor is over.

As I have said it does work but is very alpha in concept. Issues I need to fix are related to cursor movement, look and feel etc. I am also trying various methods of doing the calls, what code technology to use to make it work best. Also the biggest issue is Windows operating systems. Currently it does not work properly with Explorer (exploder) as I like to call it.

Well sorry not a solution but wanted to let you know your thought process is shared by more than one.

As I side note I also dynamically change the menu next to the little house on the upper left based upon the screen and flow they need to follow. In certain cases it does not make sense to allow the user to go to any option from a certain table to insure they do things in the right order. (Gave up trying to educate users on how to do it and just make them, through programming, follow the path they need to follow).

Alan
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Using Appgini 5.50 -