NEW FEATURE REQUEST - Look up with ADD if not there

Got something cool to share with AppGini users? Feel free to post it here!
toconnell
Veteran Member

NEW FEATURE REQUEST - Look up with ADD if not there

Post by toconnell » 2013-07-02 19:04

It would be so nice to give a drop down of options with an opportunity for the last one to be IF NOT FOUND ADD HERE, counties has been a nightmare.. just when I think I have them all in options some one finds some county we never heard of before. It would be nice to allow them to add it if not found. To the table it is "looked up" from or to the table it is in if it is an "options list" that was used to provide the drop down.

The look up field we have noticed if we import data and any of the data does not match the options list, it will look like there is nothing in the field in the database although sql has the data there.. It would be nice to have it add to the options list automatically if entered this way.

Also to turn it off.. some situations we want to limit the data to only those choices but it would be nice to have the option to add.
Email me with any questions [email protected]
Thanks, Tina
Tina O'Connell
Web Dev & Appgini FAN

a.gneady
Site Admin

Re: NEW FEATURE REQUEST - Look up with ADD if not there

Post by a.gneady » 2013-07-10 16:03

Hi Tina,

This feature is indeed planned for the next release. Please see: http://forums.appgini.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=710
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

davea0511

Re: NEW FEATURE REQUEST - Look up with ADD if not there

Post by davea0511 » 2013-10-11 18:24

Looking forward very much to this feature.

I think this is a feature for which you might want to control access (at least in my case that's what I'd like to do). For example, provide access only to those people who have edit permissions for the lookup table. Otherwise you might have anyone who accidentally missed seeing it (or who might be too lazy to try) re-add it using a slightly different spelling or term ... then you have multiple instances of the same item in a lookup table. The lookup table could soon become a mess and fixing that in the database would be a regular pain point.

- Dave