Using fields of the usertable as look-up

Got something cool to share with AppGini users? Feel free to post it here!
robertoblanco

Using fields of the usertable as look-up

Post by robertoblanco » 2013-06-17 16:06

Hi!

For own created tables I am able to use those as look-up tables.
But how can I do the same for the user login table?

E.g. I like to grasp the member name or the full username from there?

Regards,
Roberto

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: Using fields of the usertable as look-up

Post by KSan » 2013-06-17 19:23

Don't think AppGini exposes the members table for lookups. I can think of an easy workaround though.

Create a new table duplicating the members table (ie similar fields etc). Base your lookups on this members_copy table. Put a hook in place that updates this members_copy table whenever a new member is added. Presto!

shasta59
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: Using fields of the usertable as look-up

Post by shasta59 » 2013-06-25 13:44

I would not recommend doing this only because a lot of people make user names and passwords similar and you could get guessing going on. What I have done to prevent guessing is code on the server a three strikes and you are out method.

You get to try three times to enter your user or pass. On the third unsuccessful try you are banned from the server and I get an email saying someone is banned and their ip address. You are also sent to another server with a page advising you to contact the admin to get access again. I block the ip address you are attempting to connect from. While this can be very easily gotten around, go to some other location to get another ip address, it has proved effective and made users think before blindly typing.

In the beginning the bitching was high but as users learned to type properly this has gone away. With the one site having over 400 regular users no one has been blocked for over 5 months now.

Alan
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Using Appgini 5.50 -