Cloud based MySQL services

Got something cool to share with AppGini users? Feel free to post it here!
Ledbelly2142

Cloud based MySQL services

Post by Ledbelly2142 » 2013-04-16 03:55

I have looked into cloud based MySQL services for another project, but it seems applicable here to share a short list. There are several vendors with plans that start out from free and go to hundreds of dollars/month.

I have personally used Xeround on another project (but not tested with AppGini), it was the simplest and easiest to get going. The free evaluation is worth looking into. Here is the list:

Xerond
xeround.com/

Rackspace
http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/databases/pricing/

Amazon
http://aws.amazon.com/rds/

Cleardb
http://www.cleardb.com/pricing.view

Google Cloud
https://developers.google.com/cloud-sql/faq#whatissql
https://developers.google.com/cloud-sql/docs/billing

a.gneady
Site Admin

Re: Cloud based MySQL services

Post by a.gneady » 2013-04-19 08:28

Thanks for sharing this info ... I personally use Amazon RDS and like their service a lot.
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

Ledbelly2142

Post by Ledbelly2142 » 2013-05-12 16:30

Xeround closed its doors... Too bad, I liked them. Too many competitive offering out there I guess.

-Greg

a.gneady
Site Admin

Post by a.gneady » 2013-05-21 20:56

Too bad to hear of this ... that's one of the true concerns of cloud computing ... You might make a considerable investment of learning, time and money into one of the available cloud platforms, only to find it closed the next day :(

I guess Amazon RDS is a safer bet .. If Amazon falls, it's probably the end of the internet age!
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

toconnell
Veteran Member

Post by toconnell » 2013-06-06 13:08

What is all the hype with cloud based services anyway.. I really believe that shared hosting services offers the most cost effective way for our teams to go.

We hose several applications including a complete intranet for over 45 users nationwide, an appgini database for 34 users nationwide, and several other applications as well as all our company email accounts and 4 of our websites and the cost is only $89 a year with SSL certificate and unlimited everything. Hostgator.com offers me everything I need for far less!
Tina O'Connell
Web Dev & Appgini FAN

a.gneady
Site Admin

Post by a.gneady » 2013-06-20 16:12

In many cases, "cloud" is more hype than a real need ... but there are many legitimate cases for using a cloud .. 2 cases jumped into my mind right now while writing this: 1. you need easy scalability because you anticipate thousands/millions of users of your app/service, and 2. you need to perform a task that takes several hours and it's over so you don't want a long-term hosting commitment ... there are many other cases but of course there is a learning curve for getting started.

By the way, this very forum is hosted on an Amazon EC2 instance ... It doesn't cost much more than traditional hosting (around $18/month for an entire virtual server) and I personally feel it was a good experiment to go through and start working with cloud elements.

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by KSan » 2013-06-21 18:56

Another use case might be mobile app interfaces. I'm using something called Parse.com to tie in push messaging but I came to notice how they also offer backend data services. They have REST api for PHP apps to connect through as well as native or REST api for mobile devices. The beauty of using a service like this in the backend vs traditional MySQL is how they make the mobile connections much more seamless and pain-free.

davea0511

Post by davea0511 » 2013-10-11 19:03

Also if you're dealing with an enterprise level external customer you're going to want to have something that has government level security built in, and a rock-solid globally-recognizable reputation, as well as a backend where the ownership is very portable. Wait ... come to think of it, that's 3 more reasons, not just one.