Directly write new users to membership_users (loginname/password)

Got something cool to share with AppGini users? Feel free to post it here!
onoehring
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Directly write new users to membership_users (loginname/password)

Post by onoehring » 2019-06-18 10:49

Hi,
as this cost me some time to figure out how to transfer credentials from offline to online application, I thought you might like it.

I want to start this suggestion by explaining my setting:
A database application on the desktop. There are some users. I want these users to be able to log into the AppGini web application using their desktop credentials.

Solution is actually quite simple:
When you save the users password in the "desktop" version (hopefully somehow encrypted/hashed), hash it also as MD5. Probably this is quite easy.
Now you can simply export the name the users should have as loginname in AppGini with that MD5 password into the AppGini database (SQL).
Table membership_users, field memberID gets the loginname and field passMD5 gets the MD5 hashed password.

When the users logs in the first time into AppGini, his MD5 hashed password will get additional security as AppGini will bcrypt it.

Of course you will need to add some more fields (see membership_users table for details).

Thanks to the developers this procedure is completely transparent and the users does not notice.

Olaf

a.gneady
Site Admin

Re: Directly write new users to membership_users (loginname/password)

Post by a.gneady » 2019-07-03 11:48

Thanks for sharing this, Olaf :)
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.