Updating a Project

If you're a new user of AppGini, feel free to ask general usage questions, or look for answers here.
kemper

Updating a Project

Post by kemper » 2013-08-01 13:43

I am trying to update an existing project by adding fields and modifying others. When I generate the new php files and then run setup, will this process simply add and modify as desired and leave the rest of the existing table as is? I see there is an updateDB file in the new php file list. Does this safely update the existing table and leave the rest, including the data, unharmed? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

I guess I could save the altered project as a new project, create a new database on the server and then import the existing data, but that seems like a lot of trouble if the updateDB file will in fact, just update the fields and preserve the data.

benzoD
Veteran Member

Re: Updating a Project

Post by benzoD » 2013-08-02 13:33

You should make a small test app, insert dummy info in it and test by changing field and table names and settings then regenerating.

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: Updating a Project

Post by KSan » 2013-08-02 19:31

Kemper, yes adding fields and modifying others work well. To be safe, easiest thing to do is to go to phpMySQLAdmin in your cpanel and make a copy of the table you are about to impact. Then you would have a fallback if needed. I would also do the changes in 2 steps. First update your project with the new fields added, build, load on your server and verify that the new fields are there. Then do the modify fields and repeat the process. Perhaps not needed but I feel its safer this way. Good luck!!!