Questions about images loaded through AppGini

If you're a new user of AppGini, feel free to ask general usage questions, or look for answers here.
KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Questions about images loaded through AppGini

Post by KSan » 2013-06-13 04:56

Ahmad,

This one's for you. Hope you can let us know a little more about how images are processed once they are uploaded through the AppGini generated web application into a field designated "image". Here's what I have deduced so far. Please let me know if my observations are accurate...
  • Any file uploaded through AppGini gets stored in /images/ folder of the application on the web server.
  • Files are given a name like : 92115000_1371070033.png.
  • All stored files are follow the original format (ie jpgs getloaded as jpg, pngs as png etc)
  • 92115000_1371070033.png is the original size version.
  • Another version with a _dv.png suffix is saved with a smaller image size.
  • Yet smaller version with _tv.png is saved. This must be the thumbnail view for list screens.
Can you kindly say yes or no next to each of my observations?

Finally.... Will the AppGini generated image file name (ie 92115000_1371070033.png) always remain in this format? ie 8char + underscore + 10char + dot + png. Can I rely on this to be the fixed name formatting?

Thanks so much!!!

a.gneady
Site Admin

Re: Questions about images loaded through AppGini

Post by a.gneady » 2013-06-17 23:51

Your guesses are correct .. I just want to clarify the last 2 points:
*_dv is the thumbnail version for the detail view
*_tv is the thumbnail version for the table view

The sizes for the _dv and _tv thumbnails are determined in the "image options" dialog in AppGini .. so the _tv version is not necessarily smaller than the _dv one.

You can depend on this naming scheme to persist, unless you check the option "Don't rename uploaded files". In future versions, I plan to make the storage location and naming scheme more controllable in AppGini, and to add support to cloud storage, like Amazon S3 .. etc. But the current behavior would still be one of the options available.
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by KSan » 2013-06-18 03:20

Ahmad,

This sounds great. Thanks much for the explanation. Most appreciated.

Regards,
Kerem

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by KSan » 2014-04-26 06:40

Ahmad, sorry for dragging an old post but I think the next question is relevant...

I'm setting up an AppGini app on a baremetal server running on Digital Ocean. Server has LAMP running but somehow the thumbnail creation is not working. I am guessing an image processing library used by AppGini is not installed on my server. Can you kindly outline the required libraries and versions which I need to install & verify?

Thanks much!!!

a.gneady
Site Admin

Post by a.gneady » 2014-04-27 19:55

Try installing the gd library .. On ubuntu, the command is:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install php5-gd
then restart Apache:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/apache2 restart
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by KSan » 2014-04-27 20:30

Dear Ahmad, this worked like a charm!!! Thank you so very much for your response. Most appreciated.