Can AppGini do this?

If you're a new user of AppGini, feel free to ask general usage questions, or look for answers here.
mastubbs

Can AppGini do this?

Post by mastubbs » 2013-05-17 21:07

Hi all!

So I’m totally new to AppGini but already I love it. I don’t have much experience with sql so or php so this might be just the thing to help with the project I’m working on. Im a doctor and im trying to create a website for nurses in my hospital to record patient observations. The idea is that the nurse can enter the patient’s hospital number into a search field, return the patient’s name and date of birth (to ensure they have entered the correct number), and then add a new record for that patient of their blood pressure, heart rate, and other data (including date and time which would automatically add as read-only fields). This information can then be accessed by the doctor.
I’ve been playing around with AppGini and it seems like it can probably do this, am I right?

Here’s what I have so far:

I need two tables. Table 1 will contain fields: ID, Hospital number, DOB, Name. Table 2 will contain fields: ID, Hospital number, Date, Time, Heart rate, Blood pressure, etc…
The Hospital number field in table 2 will be a foreign key so that doctors know which patient the records are from.

The place I’ve got stuck so far is:

1) I only want to search using one filter: hospital number, is equal to. I would like to hide the other filter options to clean up the page and make it easy to use. Is there maybe a way to post to this from an external HTML form so as not to make too many changes to the php? (something like “table1_view.php?hospital_number=123456” – although that doesn’t actually work, I’ve tried!) or maybe this can be done with ‘hooks’?

2) Once the nurses have located the record in table 1, and confirmed they have the right patient from the name and date of birth, I want them to be able to click on a button to take them to an input form for table 2, to enter that patient’s observations (heart rate, BP, etc…). At the moment, clicking the record takes them into the record for table 1 that they just searched for. It would also be very useful if there was some way to pass the hospital number to the form to add a record to table 2, rather than using a lookup field which produces a drop down menu which would contain thousands of patients, and runs the risk selecting the wrong patient again.

3) Finally, my last question is how can I make it so that once a table 2 entry has been added, the nurse is redirected to another page after clicking ‘save new’, rather than staying on that record. I would also like to pass the data on to another page also, again maybe in the url? (eg: /nextpage.php?hospital_no=123456&heart_rate=123&BP=123, for example).

Sorry, ive asked a lot of questions there! Any help anyone can offer with any part of this would be amazing. Thanks in advance for any replies! Im pleased i found this great bit of software - if i can do these things i will certainly be buying a license!

Matt

shasta59
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: Can AppGini do this?

Post by shasta59 » 2013-05-17 23:23

Matt

Yes it can and I am heading out to umpire a ball game so no time to give full solution but a quick answer to the final part on redirecting. Just put the page you want to go to in here:

$x->RedirectAfterInsert = "yourtablename_view.php";

This is found in the yourtablename_view.php file.

Hope this helps a bit. If I get time I will send a few more clues to the other questions you have.

Alan
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Using Appgini 5.50 -

mastubbs

Post by mastubbs » 2013-05-18 00:16

shasta59 wrote:Matt

Yes it can and I am heading out to umpire a ball game so no time to give full solution but a quick answer to the final part on redirecting. Just put the page you want to go to in here:

$x->RedirectAfterInsert = "yourtablename_view.php";

This is found in the yourtablename_view.php file.

Hope this helps a bit. If I get time I will send a few more clues to the other questions you have.

Alan
Thanks Alan,

I'm pleased to hear i can use it for this project, it would be ideal.Thanks for the useful advise, if you have any more ideas i'd definitely like to hear them when you get a chance - thanks! Enjoy the game.

Matt

shasta59
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by shasta59 » 2013-05-19 18:35

You can also set this in the appgini program when you are creating it. There is a box under detail view. I prefer to do it in the _view.php file only because I change things from time to time and this is easier then regenerating the entire program. I also have this as one of the options on my option page (an add on page in the admin section I created) to set variable etc for that table and others.

More hints later.

shasta59
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by shasta59 » 2013-05-19 19:49

Matt

Yes it can mostly all be done but what I have worked out is going to require some changes in the output code from appgini.

You asked for:

1) I only want to search using one filter: hospital number, is equal to. I would like to hide the other filter options to clean up the page and make it easy to use. Is there maybe a way to post to this from an external HTML form so as not to make too many changes to the php? (something like “table1_view.php?hospital_number=123456” – although that doesn’t actually work, I’ve tried!) or maybe this can be done with ‘hooks’?

As far as filters go the nurse can do the find at the table level - no need to go into custom filters/find. The quick search field can find that one unique record for you so no extra code needed. Then (see below)

2) Once the nurses have located the record in table 1, and confirmed they have the right patient from the name and date of birth, I want them to be able to click on a button to take them to an input form for table 2, to enter that patient’s observations (heart rate, BP, etc…).

The patient's data, name etc or patient # can be put into the table 2 form automatically. First off I see a need for some code to handle this. It would be done when the button is clicked on. This button can be set to only appear when a quick search is done. The button would have to be added code to the appgini output which looks at the found record and then takes that data and inputs the basic into the table 2 form and the nurse can then fill in the new details. The table 2 form could automatically enter the date, time, who is making the record etc.

I see it all as possible but there will be code changes needed. You do not mention, since it is medical records, what level of security you are using etc. This can play a factor in speed of app etc. Also how many records and users will there be?

I can think of many other features which may make this a bit easier. I, for example, in some of the stuff I have done, have created custom detail view screens. One for one level of user and one for other levels. For example. I have one where it is for registration for a event. In this I have the same detail view modified with extra fields which only show up when a certain level of user logs in. In this case it is the registrar clicking on a paid box and paid date. The registrant cannot see this but, when the payment button is clicked they then get an email telling them payment was received. There are many other features which can be done and should be considered. Your app is not tough to do in the long run but needs to be fleshed out some more so all the features are covered you may want. In other words a complete wish list as the can make it much easier to code. I strive for one thing on my generated apps. They will not need me again as I try to cover all the bases up front.

If you wish to discuss this further I would suggest making up what you want the app to fully do if there is more to it than what you have detailed.

How about data output? Reports, queries from the data. etc etc etc.

I know this does not give you the answers you are looking for but it does, hopefully, let you know it can be done but will require some javascript, php, mysql and other knowledge. Nothing too high end however.

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by KSan » 2013-05-19 22:35

Other consideration is hosting and data security given the sensitive and private nature of data you are planning to capture and present. Are you able to host your AppGini app on an internal hospital web server or will you have to host outside on a regular hosting service provider's server? Either way you're ok to go with AppGini but may require additional security and encryption if going external. Best of luck!!!

toconnell
Veteran Member

Post by toconnell » 2013-06-06 13:34

There is software called Practice Fusion which is cloud supported database compliant with HIPPA regulations for electronic patient medical recording. I would suggestion this be used instead. It is completely free (ads at the bottom pay for it) but would do all your asking and do it securely without all the work.
Mods are free and the support is great. I have used it allot and it will allow you to do medicare rebates for this year as well.. big money for compliance on emr.

Thanks, Tina
Tina O'Connell
Web Dev & Appgini FAN