ISSUE w/CSV IMPORT

If you're a new user of AppGini, feel free to ask general usage questions, or look for answers here.
toconnell
Veteran Member

ISSUE w/CSV IMPORT

Post by toconnell » 2013-04-09 19:33

I have a field name that is showing in PHPAdmin as "BusNeeded" and in AppGini software, and in the created program on my website all as BusNeeded. However upon import of a CSV document I cannot seem to import the data into that field. I checked the type was VARCHAR on both the PHPAdmin and the AppGini file and that is correct.. but instead it shows data from the field just before it.. "RouteNumber" Not sure why. I need help. Any suggestions. This is only happening up on CSV import within the new program I created from AppGini on my website. Everywhere else it looks correct.
Tina O'Connell
Web Dev & Appgini FAN

jonstormbringer

Re: ISSUE w/CSV IMPORT

Post by jonstormbringer » 2013-04-14 13:29

Are there any fields before BusNeeded? Even hidden fields?

I'm an end user like you, but I had the same issue. My first field was an automatically generated integer/event ID. My second field was user names. When I made the CSV import from my data, I only had a field for user names. I didn't have even ID because this was a new field. When I tried to import the CSV, my user names appeared under the Event ID.

What I did to solve that was, in the CSV, make a blank field titled event ID. When I imported the data the second time, everything was where it needed to be.

Hope that helps.

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by KSan » 2013-04-14 19:28

jonstormbringer wrote:What I did to solve that was, in the CSV, make a blank field titled event ID. When I imported the data the second time, everything was where it needed to be.
I used the import from CSV function for the first time last night and I used exactly the same approach to deal with an auto-increase primary key field and it worked like a charm! Thanks for sharing this great suggestion.

Johnk
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by Johnk » 2013-04-15 09:29

I've been moving house and the forum has gone on the backburner for a while.

Have a look at this thread: http://forums.appgini.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=145

Ahmad has said there could be a problem with the Appini Code for CSV imports. People are coming up with a variety of problems and in my case, only half the items in a database were being imported. Sadly Ahmad has gone to ground, but the problem "should" be fixed in the next release.

John

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by KSan » 2013-04-15 20:49

Hi John,

Hope your move is going good. Its never fun or easy so my sincere best wishes to you and your family on this endevour!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I too have gone missing for a while so I missed a lot of 'known issues' threads like the one you pointed me to.

So it does appear that my import also missed some records. I had not worried too much about it since I was working with data from a 3rd party with integrity issues so I just thought mysql backend refused some records due to data validation. Now I know better!

Lets hope Ahmad is all well and that he surfaces soon with the update and some good news for all of us.

Cheers,
Kerem

Johnk
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by Johnk » 2013-04-17 12:18

Thanks Kerem. I finished the move today and now I have to tidy up the new place. it was exhausting because I also had to dispose of a very old 13m boat. As you know, even the Moderators haven't heard from Ahmad and it is a worry. His suggested date for releasing a new version passed by long ago. John

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by KSan » 2013-04-17 17:19

Hi John, at the risk of taking this thread further off-topic, congrats on completing your move. It is a big milestone. Boats... Oh dear, what can I say. There is an age old saying that goes something like... " The two happiest days in a sailors life are the day he buys his boat and the day he sells it". As a fellow sailor, I fully understand what you had to accomplish. Now take a long well deserved rest. Keep well.

Oh, Ahmad... I hope he is well and simply too busy. I look forward to hearing from him.

toconnell
Veteran Member

Post by toconnell » 2013-04-25 17:10

I was able to correct that issue by changing the formatting of the field in appgini to no special formatting and was able to import.

Now.. I have two more issues that appear..

Social security numbers and phone numbers which I have special formatting for look like they are missing digits and formatted strangely in table view, but when you click on it and look at it in detail view it looks perfect. This was imported as plain numbers, no formatting in the fields when the data was entered, via csv import. There is no special formatting set for these fields either. Any suggestions??
Tina O'Connell
Web Dev & Appgini FAN

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by KSan » 2013-04-25 18:43

toconnell wrote:This was imported as plain numbers, no formatting in the fields when the data was entered, via csv import. There is no special formatting set for these fields either. Any suggestions??
Not sure if this might be the issue but you mention importing them as plain numbers... I wonder if changing the field type to VarChar might help. Apologies if the field is already VarChar. All the best.

toconnell
Veteran Member

Post by toconnell » 2013-04-25 18:55

I narrowed down the issue to the type of field.. SMALL INTEGER is the only field type that had trouble importing.. to fix the problem on those fields I tried to change them to just integer.. and wa la.. everything imported properly and formatted properly.. fixed the issue.. Hope this helps everyone else and the developer :)
Tina O'Connell
Web Dev & Appgini FAN