Permissions Question

If you're a new user of AppGini, feel free to ask general usage questions, or look for answers here.
dozment

Permissions Question

Post by dozment » 2013-02-12 23:47

I'm playing with the concept of a membership database, and I'm looking for something a little different in terms of permissions. I would like to have a member's information entered by an admin assistant type user. Then, I would like to set the record somehow so that it is only editable by the user to whom it belongs. For example, the admin may enter records for members Ron, Sean and Dan. I want to be able to change the "Dan" record but not the other two. And, I do not want the other two folks to be able to change my record.

I've tried doing that with groups, but that doesn't quiet work. The record is created in the admin's group, so that user (who may be in a "member" group) can't see or edit it.

Any suggestions for how to do something like this?

Thanks!
Dan

Johnk
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: Permissions Question

Post by Johnk » 2013-02-13 04:40

Hi Dan,
I don't use the Membership section for my members database because there aren't enough fields. I use the Admin section so that the Membership Officer and Secretary can add or alter records, but other Committee members can only view them. Thus Groups concept is good for me.

However, when trying the Membership module supplied by AppGini, I thought it was able to do exactly what you want. You can set it so that the Admin, or the person who owns the record can change it, but no-one else. That means that I as a member, can change my form but no-one else can. I'm positive you can set it up that I can only see my own form and no one elses.

If you haven't done so, may I suggest you download the Help and Tutorial files in book form and look at those.

http://forums.appgini.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7

John

Reimar

Post by Reimar » 2013-02-13 11:20

There mainly 3 levels:
1.: Administration = full right's
2.: Group = all right's to a specific Group
3.: Member/User Rights = Right to own records only

Administrator will have all right's, not limited in any means. Only differences are in Forum Software as example, there different levels of administrator while the highest level is the one of the Root Administrator.

Groupadmin rights are limited to an specific group. Here the Groupadmin can change within "his" group what the Administrator assigned for him to change, such could be compared with an Forum Moderator.

Member/Users could change their own settings only. Those could be also limited by the Administrator.

In apps like AppGini, it would be quite hard to implement higher security but impossible. Maybe an Module which would accept Crypt functions would be the best to intergrate. That should allow that anybody could use his/her own decryption key. Have to take a deeper look in that.
Have a nice day and best wishes from LoS (Land of Smile)

dozment

Post by dozment » 2013-02-28 03:21

Thanks for the replies, and sorry I've been away so long since posting. I understand I may be asking too much, but if the admin could create a record AND assign an an appgini group to that record, then allow a member to edit records in that group, it would solve my problem.

dozment

Post by dozment » 2013-02-28 03:39

This may be another way to state it. If a member of the admin group could change group ownership of any record that would allow an admin to create a record and assign it to a group.

Reimar

Post by Reimar » 2013-02-28 07:31

You can as admin all times change the Group and/or Ownership an any single record. A User/Member could only change his own records.

If you like to change permissions, you could do that from Admin Area only. To change a Users Record, from Admin Area go to View Members, select the Member you like to edit something from and chose the record. From here you could change the ownership of a single record but must change the Group first an save. Screen advice is available.

dozment

Post by dozment » 2013-02-28 12:04

That will help. Thank you!

Reimar

Post by Reimar » 2013-02-28 13:32

You're welcome!

It's an easy task you looking for.From Admin Area you've all power needed for to do such work as admin.