Overall Security

If you're a new user of AppGini, feel free to ask general usage questions, or look for answers here.
dozment

Overall Security

Post by dozment » 2013-02-11 17:06

I have a need for a "membership" database that I think I could fill with AppGini, but the users are asking about overall security. No really sensitive data would be kept in the database, but the users are concerned about bots crawling the app to find phone numbers, email addresses, etc. I'm interested in any thoughts on just how secure the app is - particularly from non-authenticated users.

Thanks!
Dan

Johnk
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: Overall Security

Post by Johnk » 2013-02-12 08:21

Hi Dan,

This doesn't answer your question, but I'm also designing a membership database for my clubs. I'd love to share ideas with you.

The Admin form and member's passwords are MD5 encrypted and I'm happy enough with that. To my knowledge, bots can't scan databases unless given special permission, but we'll let Ahmad do the hard sell on that one. Good luck.

Reimar

Post by Reimar » 2013-02-12 14:13

It's for sure depend on your server settings. The Apps itself is much secure enough. Using MySql is also very secure as long as you didn't give the Root password away. It's mainly up to the administrator how secure the data would be handled. If you spilt your MySql database in small tables, it's also more secure than use a single table. If you didn't have problems to set the relations between the tables in the correct manner, no any problems will occurs. I working in the moment on an small ERP system and use already to have 168 tables in the MySql Database.

I think that you surely could promise a good security to your customers.
Have a nice day and best wishes from LoS (Land of Smile)

dozment

Post by dozment » 2013-02-12 15:21

Thanks very much for the information, Remir and John. That helps, and I agree that the app should be as secure as the database. Still, I'm interested in what others have experienced or think about security with the app in general. This is a great start, thanks!

And, John, I will be glad to share ideas with you on this. I have done a very preliminary design just to give the group an idea of what we could do. For now, I'm holding until the group is comfortable putting their information in a web-based database. Your answers are already helping me cross that hurdle.

Basically, our club is a group of amateur radio operators. We have both a social group and a volunteer group (Amateur Radio Emergency Service or ARES) that works with local government and first responders. We are looking for a way to track basic member information (name, address, phone, email, etc), when dues are paid (for the social part of the club), and member capabilities and skills.

Like I said, for now it is at a very early stage in the design until I get the go-ahead from the group, but I will be happy to share.

Regards,
Dan

a.gneady
Site Admin

Post by a.gneady » 2013-02-13 13:43

dozment wrote:the users are concerned about bots crawling the app to find phone numbers, email addresses, etc.
If you allow anonymous access to any table (from the admin area), there is no way to prevent bots from crawling data from that table. For tables accessible only to members, no bots would be able to access them.
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

dozment

Post by dozment » 2013-02-28 03:22

Great info. Thanks!