How to create thumbnail photos after the fact?

If you're a new user of AppGini, feel free to ask general usage questions, or look for answers here.
dlee
Veteran Member

How to create thumbnail photos after the fact?

Post by dlee » 2023-01-08 22:44

I have an existing dynamic website that has hundreds of existing photos n various sizes. I have created an Appgini app to replace the existing back-end but because these photos are already existing they do not show up in the new app because I checked the box to show thumbnails when creating the app.

How can I create the thumbnails after the fact?
Hope this makes sense,
TD

jsetzer
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: How to create thumbnail photos after the fact?

Post by jsetzer » 2023-01-08 22:51

I think there is a tool in Utilities menu in Admin Area for rebuilding the thumbnail images (both, for TV and DV) according to the thumbnail-dimensions, configured in your project.

https://bigprof.com/appgini/help/workin ... /media-tab
Kind regards,
<js />

My AppGini Blog:
https://appgini.bizzworxx.de/blog

You can help us helping you:
Please always put code fragments inside [code]...[/code] blocks for better readability

AppGini 24.10 Revision 1579 + all AppGini Helper tools

dlee
Veteran Member

Post by dlee » 2023-01-09 03:37

Thank you Jan !!!

dlee
Veteran Member

Post by dlee » 2023-01-10 18:55

That doesn't seem to be working. Please note that I have changed the parameter 'baseUploadPath' in config.php to the path where the images are actually located, if this matters.

TD

dlee
Veteran Member

Post by dlee » 2023-01-13 20:29

Can someone please explain to me how Appgini handles images. Please notes that these photos are in separate folders. I have tried the Rebuild Thumbnails utility but it does nothing. I have tried creating the thumbnails myself, naming them with the _dv, _tv but the app does not recognize them.

I really need to resolve this for my customer so any help will be greatly appreciated!
TD

pbottcher
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by pbottcher » 2023-01-14 12:19

Hi,

maybe it is helpful to understand your setting.

- you create a new backend (with AppGini). -> Do you have the information about the images stored in your database? Usually AppGini stores the name of the image in the database.
- you changed the baseUploadPath -> are all your images in this path, or in multiple "separate folders" ?

Also, how big are your images? There might be an issue with the available memory if your images are bigger. So you might need to increase the memory-size for your application to rebuild the images.
Any help offered comes with the best of intentions. Use it at your own risk. In any case, please make a backup of your existing environment before applying any changes.

dlee
Veteran Member

Post by dlee » 2023-01-14 20:57

Hi pbottcher, thanks for trying to help. The images are in 34 different folders. The database was existing and not created by Appgini. The image information stored in the database is just the name of the image file. When I open the Appgini app to work with the images Appgini just shows me a placeholder instead of the image; see attached screen capture.

As for the sizes of the images they are all 700px X 700px or less.

I noticed that if I click on the upload button and select the image that goes with that record that Appgini creates a image_dv.jpg and an image_tv.jpg file. It appears to leave the original file alone.

The thing I don't understand is if I take one of the image files and ,using MS Paint, I create as thumbnail 50px X 50px with the image name with _dv and _tv appended to the image file name and place them in the folder where the original image files lives that Appgini still doesn't recognizance the image.

I hope this answers your questions about the problem. I am thinking Appgini doesn't work very well with an existing database and images in different folders. I guess I'll look elsewhere for a solution.

TD
Attachments
Appgini screen capture 1.jpg
Appgini screen capture 1.jpg (112.06 KiB) Viewed 1185 times

pbottcher
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by pbottcher » 2023-01-14 21:46

Hi,

I think there are some points tu understand.

Per default AppGini stores all images into one folder. If you want to store images in different folders this requires some code.
For the default image folder (=baseUploadPath ) AppGini generates thumbnails for the TV and DV. These are named like the original image with the suffix _tv and _dv.
So in your case if you have the images in the default folder you should also be able to create the thumbnail per hand.
The rebuildThumbnails function looks only into the defult folder to regenrate the thumbails. So if your images are in a different folder, this will not work.
Any help offered comes with the best of intentions. Use it at your own risk. In any case, please make a backup of your existing environment before applying any changes.

dlee
Veteran Member

Post by dlee » 2023-01-17 18:30

After working with it some more I finally realized that in this case Appgini is just not a good fit for what I am trying to accomplish. Thanks to all who tried to help with this, I learned a lot about Appgini from this.

TD