Exeoutput for PHP

If you're a new user of AppGini, feel free to ask general usage questions, or look for answers here.
dathanasios

Exeoutput for PHP

Post by dathanasios » 2021-04-01 08:47

Hello.
Does anyone uses the Exeoutput for PHP?
https://www.exeoutput.com/
As their website said:
ExeOutput for PHPâ„¢ is a software that lets you create Windows desktop and console applications from PHP scripts and websites.
From the description it looks very promising
Regards,

jsetzer
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: Exeoutput for PHP

Post by jsetzer » 2021-04-01 12:29

Looks promising, in deed, thanks for sharing!

I'm wondering how other network users shall connect to that standalone installation. As far as I have seen, the software produces a single-user, single-database installation which ships with a local MySQL/MariaDB server. That database server will be started on program start, using a configurable port and will be stopped when program exits. This means, the database server will be available locally, only, by default, unless you do some firewall changes.

If there was a way to connect more than one desktop installation to the same, already existing, remote database server, I'm afraid this would require configuring a remote database user like remote_user@% (instead of for example root@localhost) which may be insecure. Due to AppGini's great automatic database migration feature, this remote user would require db-administrative privileges which makes it even more insecure.

Anyway, this should work fine for pure stand-alone installations when you don't need cooperation/interaction with other users. It could also work well for easy-to-install demo-versions of our AppGini apps before shipping/installing the full version at a customer's network.

I will definately give it a try on a testing machine the next months and report back.
Kind regards,
<js />

My AppGini Blog:
https://appgini.bizzworxx.de/blog

You can help us helping you:
Please always put code fragments inside [code]...[/code] blocks for better readability

AppGini 24.10 Revision 1579 + all AppGini Helper tools

dathanasios

Post by dathanasios » 2021-04-02 06:27

@jsetzer
I tried its samples and looks promising.
I also change a little the configuration and run my mysql instance (xampp), so it can be used as multi user application.
It uses its own http server bit with little configuration you can use the apache.
The wordpress sample from their website it is very enlightening.
Regards

onoehring
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by onoehring » 2021-04-02 07:17

Hi,

I agree, looks promising and with a RAD tool like AG even more. But Jan made an important point: AG is a database application which most likely will be used my more than one person. For this I am not sure, if placing it on a desktop makes much sense.
Also, I want to point out, that working locally is (in my experience) slow compared to working with a "real" online server. People probably do not want to wait on their machines.
Currently I see "Exeoutput" as a way which might be used to demo an AG application. If everything (php code and database structure) is safely stored and hidden from view, one could publish the "real deal" as a demo.

Anyways, thank you for pointing out the tool.

just 2cts
Olaf

dathanasios

Post by dathanasios » 2021-04-02 09:59

Dear Olaf,
you and Jan are both right.
The Exeoutput it might be very useful for demonstration purposes and in small distributions with special care to protect the code of the application.
The AG is amazing RAD.
I made a "hybrid" module. That means that I have a client with a business desktop applications (Windows compiled executable), which is running is a local network with 10 pcs, with my own reporting system etc. He asked me for some modifications and add some new facilities. I changed the database system from PostgreSQL to MariaDB and made the new facilities with AG. It cutted the development time, at least, by 60%
Now the application is using the same database for Php and Windows Exe applications.
The only point I concserned is that the client have the full source code (by AG and some modifications) in his server pc.
The Exeoutput it might be a solution to this situation.
By the way, is there a reliable code obfuscator for AG, in order to protect the code which will be installed in a client's hosting provider?
Regards,

SkayyHH
Veteran Member

Post by SkayyHH » 2021-04-02 20:36

Hi,

I use ExeOutput for PHP for client projects.

However, it is quite slow. The appgini calendar even more. It is possible to import all of the scripts into a stand-alone app. The scripts can be encrypted so that they cannot be viewed by the user. The rendering engine needs to be adjusted for better performance. Overall, that's pretty good.

PHP Desktop is also interesting. https://github.com/cztomczak/phpdesktop

It has a similar approach, but simpler. But much more better in performance. Exeoutput has the advantage that it can be a single app. You can run your appgini app on a usb stick. For php desktop, mysql must be installed on the windows system. this means that the app is not portable.

Just try it out. Besides the slow performance, it's good and i use it for my app demo versions too. For demo versions you can set a expiration date and splash screen. That´s very cool. And many more: You can limit to one instance, set a passwort for starting the app, change the theme and edit all php settings and much more. It´s very powerful.

I think for the best performance the professionals here had to test it and find out the best settings for the php extensions (php.ini).

Updateting an existing app is not easy. An update function for the scripts is missing.

dathanasios

Post by dathanasios » 2021-04-04 17:55

@SkayyHH
Thank you very much for your well documented answer.
I will check the PHP Desktop.
Regards,

dathanasios

Post by dathanasios » 2021-04-05 06:26

By the way, have you had use any obfuscator with Appgini?

SkayyHH
Veteran Member

Post by SkayyHH » 2021-04-05 18:47

You can encrypt the scripts with exeoutput for php.

But as a system administrator of a company, would you install a script that is encrypted with an obfuscator? Not if you are smart ;-)

dathanasios

Post by dathanasios » 2021-04-10 09:53

@SkayyHH
Correct for this case.
But what about in case to install the script to the client's server?
He has all the source code of an application.
How can you protect it?
Regards,

SkayyHH
Veteran Member

Post by SkayyHH » 2021-04-11 07:41

hi. why do you want to encrypt the scripts? The performance worsens my knowledge and above all you lose the trust of your customers. A customer who pays attention to data security will not allow you to install encrypted scripts. It could contain malicious codes that he cannot identify. What should the customer do with the source code? And you can simply remove the appgini notices such as tweet, forum hint etc. from the scripts if they bother you.

dathanasios

Post by dathanasios » 2021-04-11 19:25

Hi.
Your position is probably correct.
But, regarding to that for 30 years I have been giving clients only compiled executable files, it seems strange to me that I will give the source code.
I probably need a change of mindset :D
Ragards,

dathanasios

Post by dathanasios » 2021-04-12 12:35

Thanks