How to Show data tables on one page?

If you're a new user of AppGini, feel free to ask general usage questions, or look for answers here.
bambinou
Veteran Member

How to Show data tables on one page?

Post by bambinou » 2013-02-03 22:53

Hello,

I am having a problem.
Here is how I have built my tables:
Table 1
Field1<---Job Title
Field2
Field3
Field4

Table 2
Field1<---Job Title

I wanted the table 1-->Field 1 to be set only by the admin and not the user, to do this, I could not find a single setting that block this field(or freezes it) in the user account.
I thought about creating a second table with the same data and add the second table as parent, then from the admin panel, I have set this table to unwritable by the user.

The above did not work either.

Anyone has a method to do this please?(without using hooks)

Thank you,

Ben

Johnk
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: How to Show data tables on one page?

Post by Johnk » 2013-02-05 08:54

I'm a bit confused by the heading of your post Ben, I'm not sure if you want both tables to appear on the same page and why.

Have you considered creating one table (Admin) where Job Title is read/write and a copy of that table (User) where Job Title is a display field? Both tables would look identical other than that.

You can then set the Admin table NOT to be seen by Users and the Users table not to be seen by Admin. You would do this in the admin settings.

bambinou
Veteran Member

Post by bambinou » 2013-02-05 22:10

Hi John,

Sorry about the confusion.

Let me explain this a little bit better.

Let's say you have a full form with:
field 1
field 2
field 3
field 4

You would like to have the field 1 as writable by the user
the field 2 writable
the field 3 blocked(read only form the user end)
field 4 also block as read only from the user end).

As I understand it, you can only make a field "non writable" if you add the full table as "edit not allowed".

The problem is...how to get a form with the above fields on one page with 2 of them being writable and the other 2 not.

So my question was, can you actually add 2 tables on one page to go around this problem? One that is writable by the user and the other one non writable.

Thank you,

Ben

benzoD
Veteran Member

Post by benzoD » 2013-02-06 16:44

If I'm understanding you correctly, you should be able to set the field as "Read Only" in the Field Properties check boxes. You can fill in the Default value in the text area above the Field Properties boxes. You don't have to use the "Automatic Values" provided by the button, you can type anything in there (as far as I can tell).

I, for instance, have a field that is hidden and read only, automatically filled with the timestamp of the record creation. I have it set as VarChar, Length 40, Default <%%creationDateTime%%>, "Read Only" and "Hidden in detail view" both checked (don't hide it if you want it to be shown but not editable). When the record is created there is nowhere for the users to add date or time, but when the record is viewed there is a date/time field that shows when the record was submitted to the database.

bambinou
Veteran Member

Post by bambinou » 2013-02-07 23:46

Hi BenzoD,

Thank you so much for the reply.

I would like to ask you something please, I am trying to set the automatic values but in the table user, they still show up with the %% %%, any idea why the data is not output?
Is it because I am working locally using Xampp?

Thank you,

Ben

benzoD
Veteran Member

Post by benzoD » 2013-03-26 15:37

Sorry for the late reply but I'm not sure. I'm using both xampp and a LAMP server for development and it works on both. Perhaps start a new thread with this issue and I'm sure a.gneady will get back to you. I missed this for a long time, so it's probably just flown under his radar.