AppGini Showcase

If you're a new user of AppGini, feel free to ask general usage questions, or look for answers here.
KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

AppGini Showcase

Post by KSan » 2013-01-13 06:27

Suggest this post gets stickied in due course so it can act as a Getting Started Reference...

I would like to ask for owners of AppGini sites to provide links here for sites that they have developed / run etc. Even if these are proprietary and login controlled sites it would be nice to see the diverse applications created by AppGini. Sample sites, demo sites where one can go in and take the application for a spin would be even better of course. I hope to post my first link soon. Till then...

Please showcase what you have! Thank you very much.

a.gneady
Site Admin

Re: AppGini Showcase

Post by a.gneady » 2013-01-13 16:50

Thanks for the helpful suggestion, Kerem. I set this thread to sticky. For a starter, here is the online demo: http://bigprof.com/demo
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

shasta59
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by shasta59 » 2013-01-15 14:43

I have developed the following for appgini. All are closed sites so there is nothing to access/see but here is an overview:

baseball umpires - full site that tracks member info, diamonds used, teams, associations, bookings of members to umpire games, contact list, supervisions (members get reviewed and supervised to assist in getting better), incident reports. For incident reports it send out an email to the correct organization president advising them of incident along with all other relevant parties. Tracks member qualifications and much much more. Has an online training component it links to for ongoing training tracking. Sub part of system publishes web page to allow looking up to see what umpire is booked to what game.

store - system is used to track inventory discrepancies, returns, used product and availability of same, vacation requests and many more areas. This is spread across three store locations and three provinces. It emails out to proper people when something is entered. Eliminated all the paper forms. On returns to suppliers it allows them entry to look up their records and then put in details if needed. Working on interface to main supplier system. Setup system to make it very easy to add who gets notified of addition by using a hook to lookup in a table who to email. This way additions and deletions of notifications is easily done.

Charity (two different charities it was developed for) - tracks their tasking for their clients and allows their volunteers to access from anywhere now it is web based. Mostly eliminated paper forms and handing them in. Signed forms are scanned in by volunteers and added to records. In one case the system has reduced clerical workload by over 65%. Allowed person doing the clerical stuff to do more relating to service the charity provided. Means more donated funds go to the client population rather than admin etc.

Any questions just ask.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Using Appgini 5.50 -

Johnk
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by Johnk » 2013-01-16 14:34

I think most of us will be developing private or closed databases. This makes it difficult to share, but shasta59 may well have developed things I could use on my Club membership site.

Maybe we could just share the Appgini axp files similar to the way Amhad has sample files on the Appgini site. If Ahmad doesn't wish to include our files, I'm happy to add them to the same page where you can download my manuals. if anyone wants to do this, I'm happy to pm my email address. It would probably help if you could write a few words about where to start entering data.

shasta59
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by shasta59 » 2013-01-16 15:02

Johnk

Sharing the axp files will not work as I use appgini as a starting point then modify the code a fair bit to fit my application/usage. Appgini saves me a LOT of time by generating the base files for me then I get to work with a lot of changes to get it to work the way I need it to run. Without the mods it really would not do what is needed. But since I do not have to generate all the base code I can spend more time on details. And, as I go along, and figure out what Ahmad's program generates for code changes become easier.

The axp files would not really be helpful due to the above. Before using appgini I did the coding by hand. Appgini saves me over 4 to 6 months of work.

Alan

patsd102
Veteran Member

Post by patsd102 » 2013-01-27 12:48

Hi all, Its a shame no links are posted for showing off your appgini sites as i was looking forward to seeing other uses of this fantastic software

This is mine, www.dx27.net/prefix/dx27prefixlist_view.php

This is a country list used for CB radio, simlar to the Ham bands, You can see i have also added a ham prefixlist as well,
The country number is searchable, so entering 29 will show Ireland , with a map image

Thanks for viewing

Reimar

Post by Reimar » 2013-02-10 04:24

NO, it's not a shame!

Start think about! Most apps created used AppGini would be for to keep data of what ever purpose, much would even be confidential. Also the code used for those apps would be confidential in many means, in first line because of intellectual property of the Coder. Many of the Coders will use the system for to create some income and would therefore keep their codes confidential.

Take your apps as example: It wouldn't be very difficult to create the same just because it seems to be that your apps is fully created with AppGini, no extra code changes used. That said, your apps looks like just to be the begin and a lot need to be done further to get really something out of it.

In that regard AppGini is an excellent tool for to create an skeleton and after that 's done the real "work", say coding, will start!

As the other user told, he use the system for to gain time and reduce the time of development for his final apps. If he would post his apps, there would come a huge discussion up based on the changes he had done to the Code. As those are confidential, he would need to deny to publish what he's done. Hoe such would run and finally end? I think I don't need to post the answer!!
Have a nice day and best wishes from LoS (Land of Smile)

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by KSan » 2013-02-13 15:16

Reimar, thanks for sharing your perspective. Please note sharing here is completely voluntary and more than one member has already graciously shared lots of code and 'confidential' information on how they get things done with AppGini. Our unspoken code of ethics is to take some give some. Whatever you may feel comfortable in sharing down the road and contributing to the group sense here will be most welcome! Thank you very much.

Reimar

Post by Reimar » 2013-02-14 06:27

KSan, sure all is just voluntary and everybody could feel free to do or not to do.

As I work with very high security on huge network's, I may see something in a bit to close angle! The reason for to write my above answer, were just to tell never to be angry, disturbed or so if a user isn't willing to share details of his own coding. That's just an understandable fact which may would be forgotten by some users. From experiences on other forum, it's often the case that others asking for details and if the other party refuse to give that details some discussion turn into arguments with insulting and accusing comments. Most of the time that's user's who claiming to have an extensive knowledge about simply everything. They also claiming to know even better what you have done as you know by yourself!

We all should simply accept, that's up to each person what and how that person will exchange about their knowledge. That also includes to accept that not everything could be shared.

Hope that makes abit more clear what I was mean with my post above.

Thanks a lot.
Have a nice day and best wishes from LoS (Land of Smile)

patsd102
Veteran Member

Post by patsd102 » 2013-03-16 20:45

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments, No need to get excited, The shame comment was to show i was disappointed not to see other uses of appgini.
I know my site is plain, but it does what is says on the tin.

This is my other use of appgini software. http://www.dx27.net/dx27cluster1/DX27_view.php
Its a spot database, On the radio we call is a cluster, as its connected to other spotting sites as well.

I have 7 languages to choice from, and its also connected to an android app to view posts out and about.
You can also see some use of the filters on the logbook link

Have a nice day.

toconnell
Veteran Member

Post by toconnell » 2013-04-26 12:49

Patsd,

The links you have in the third column... I am trying to do something slightly simliar.. and need to know just how you did it..

I would like to have an address in one column that when clicked on it would open up in google maps with the map to it and the ability to get directions to it.
Any suggestions?

patsd102
Veteran Member

Post by patsd102 » 2013-04-29 20:03

hi Toconnell

Here is my line from the templateTV file. (Colum 8)

Code: Select all

<td id="DX27.Country.<%%VALUE(id)%%>" valign="top" width="80" class="TableBody">

<a href="http://dx27.net/prefix/dx27prefixlist_view.php?FilterAnd%5B1%5D=&FilterField%5B1%5D=2&FilterOperator%5B1%5D=%3C%3D%3E&FilterValue%5B1%5D=<%%VALUE(Country)%%>" target="_blank" style="text-decoration: none; color:#000066;">

<%%VALUE(Country)%%></a></td>
This country list which is a drop down list is linked to here : http://dx27.net/prefix/dx27prefixlist_view.php

With a filtering line from appgini :

http://dx27.net/prefix/dx27prefixlist_v ... lue%5B1%5D

is linked to colum 3 of the country site.( country name)

I hope this helps.

pat

bambinou
Veteran Member

Post by bambinou » 2013-05-28 06:44

What I am worried about is that the front end looks so old.....
AppGini is really not suite for website front end unless you have good skills in web 2.0 design(for nowadays market).
I have opened a thread on skins and buttons because because I think this is a very important part of the design.

I had a guy who wanted an application for his company but all in ajax, he did not want refresh and thinngs of the past...I think this is where the market is going and hope AppGini will use more the html5 and ajax functionality or I see a problem there as other frame worked have implemented this and it looks great.

Hope you will all agree on this.

Ben

shasta59
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by shasta59 » 2013-05-28 13:14

What has to be remembered is that, IMHO, AppGini is a development environment and not a full end fait accompli. It is a code generator and not a total environment. At the price point, again IMHO, it does what it says it will do. There are many complex systems out there but none at the price point of AppGini. What I would like to see is maybe a standard version (currently named Pro) and a Deluxe version to address the features which are asked for but, in some cases, not needed by all.

I do my own changes and was looking for something with a good price point and which I could modify with my own code, change the html, css etc to have it look as I want and this has been done.

It all comes down to cost and what you are looking for and what your budget can sustain. I put up a lot of posts on here on how to change things, add code etc. I put in html 5 and newer css features in my sites, change the look of the front end to match what is wanted and more. I have setup a lot of auto features not in the original code. The biggest feature of AppGini is it has allowed me to get up sites, for specific purposes in hours rather than months. I then enhance it as I go or as necessary.

It may be best to put a list of features together you want it to do in one email, then send this to Ahmad or post here and ask him what it would cost to do this in a program. For example, I use a program called Navicat to manage sql database and do a few other things. It is $159.00. More than AppGini but allows me to manage the sql database in an efficient manner. It is very focused as to what it does but for $159 was worth the money as it does what it says it will do even though that feature set is limited.

http://www.navicat.com/

I use AppGini to model and develop. As customers want features they get a price to add such features in. If someone wants a full site, using a lot of Ajax methodology, for example, they can have it but there is a price.

Now as far as skins and buttons goes this is also possible to develop and I have one site, where as a trial, I coded in where the end user can change the way the front end looks by calling up a different set of style sheets by way of a preferences page. They pick the look they want from, currently 3 different views and this choice is remembered in their own preferences. So it is all possible to do.

Biggest benefit to AppGini as I see it - Rapid Prototyping.

Alan

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by KSan » 2013-05-29 19:04

I hear Alan's point and agree to a certain extent. To me, it is not a matter of how much Ahmad should charge but rather whether he can sustain the workload as a one-man company if all features were to be built into AppGini core.

I agree AppGini does a great job in getting you up and running in no time with ideas and/or proof-of-concept work and I agree if you have the knowledge and abilities you can take it from there and put all the glitter you need. The question remains; who is AppGini's target audience?

Real PHP / MySQL wizards looking to save time or beginners (like me) trying to play the "PHP / MySQL wizard" role thanks to AppGini's magic baton. I hope we can find a sensible balance in between and co-exist in harmony.

Alan, once again many thanks for your valuable contributions. You certainly showcase the best of AppGini and what it can do in capable hands such as yours. Thank you very much.

Regards,
Kerem

bambinou
Veteran Member

Post by bambinou » 2013-06-11 12:26

Hi Kerem and Alan,

You both have a point here.

I believe that the target audience for this software is people who already know PHP and are quiet good at it.

I give you a simple example, I am trying to build a tiny website where users can leave comments, the first problem I find is....how to output any of the data on the front page of the website without any login but just a form with email, name, surname? How to make the app more for the public and less as an private infrastructure?

I absolutely love AppGini and will carry on paying for the updates but I just hope that Ahmad will manage adding more things like skins, web 2.0 styles(new generation),a bit more AJAX and have the app more Public friendly rather than enclosing everything inside a login system.

It would have been so nice to create a small ecommerce quickly with this, but unfortunately, you would need to be quiet good with PHP to do this type of setup.

If this app was open source with a large community, I could not even think how many add ons we would have had by now but with a single person working on it add ons will take a lot of time to get released.

We have to see, perhaps helping Ahmad with more marketing so he makes more cash which in turn will create a bigger team and more add ons.....

Thanks,

Ben

benzoD
Veteran Member

Post by benzoD » 2013-08-02 14:39

I think working towards adding skins and AJAX would pull focus from adding features for the main target market for this program, which is people who are looking for a database code generator. There are plenty of programs out there that will allow you to to manipulate the CSS, even Firefox has extensions that will allow you to easily change the CSS code while you're looking at it. I implore Ahmad to keep working on adding more database features and allow others to worry about skinning it.

bambinou
Veteran Member

Post by bambinou » 2013-08-02 14:55

Hi Benzod,

I disagree on this, other frameworks focus on both and this is the way forward.

Think about it, you already have a basic CRUD, now if your project only need a CRUD but you spend ages trying to figure out the css when other framework proposes skins by hundreds that you install in minutes.

Some framework are advancing fast at the moment, the only difference is that Appgini is windows based, but at the same time other framworks now have web interfaces that others in your team can access...so what is the good and bad?

I was using Appgini and love it but unfortunately, the skins or front end development is lacking and I had a problem like the impossibility to share pictures or pdf via parent/child tables without modifying the code, this killed my project.

We all have different needs but at the moment, html5, beautiful front end and normal CRUD is what most average users are looking for.

The database of Appgini would perhaps need more features like adding/divide, substract column data without the use of Hooks, share pictures and documents with child/parents tables, have better front end design and accessibility.

If this was sorted(I know it is a big job), then Appgini would be top top like some of the best open source frameworks.

But it is still a good framework for people who are already experienced in php....

Ben

benzoD
Veteran Member

Post by benzoD » 2013-08-14 14:06

I wish you all the best in your use of other frameworks! Let us know how it goes. I'm always interested in nice tools. Which ones are you talking about specifically?

davea0511

Post by davea0511 » 2013-10-11 20:44

Interesting and useful discussion ... probably should be split out from this thread, just because it is important and potentially very productive.

Of course ideally we'd just clone Ahmad if we could, but since we can't then probably an online poll would be useful (help Ahmad know what the community most wants, and help the community know what the rest of us want).

Example polling options: (1) tables with an Ajaxian HTML5-ish UI; (2) provide a Plug-in API; (3) add additional data-display and manipluation capabilities; (4) support more database protocols (SQL, postgre, etc); (5) option to produce phoneGap-compatible smartphone-targeted output (making this a 'real' appGenie); (6) ...

Also we could do a 'Bounty' system, for example see the "bounty" system used here for a wiki-system: http://zim-wiki.org/contribute.html. Maybe Ahmad might might post some bounties on what it would take to add a feature, or some community members might also propose bounties on what they'd be willing to contribute (at Ahmad's discretion of course).

I do agree with Benzod ... for me database interactivity trumps sexy interface, but again ... I might be in the minority. A poll would help out here. As for getting the sexy interface that bambinou wants Ahmad is apparently engaged in replacing Prototype JS with JQuery, which will greatly facilitate this.

bambinou
Veteran Member

Post by bambinou » 2013-10-11 21:29

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your excellent feedback.
As a marketer I believe Ahmad should go for this route:

1)Follow what the customer is actually looking for at this exact time (October 2013).

2)To find out what the customer is looking for then it is very simple.
Go to any well known frameworks "Yii or Code ignite for example" then look at the number of downloads per plugins/extensions.

By following this very special rule, Ahmad will always know that the biggest part of the market is actually looking for.

Right now for many frameworks, I see Bootstrap integration at the top priority.

At least with this method, none of us can actually try to tell Ahmad what he should develop that benefits us(cheating...)
He will then know 100% what the masses are looking for.

As a marketer, I have been looking at what people chooses the most in the competitor's downloads to find out in which direction I should go without thinking about my personal likings. This is how you make the money, believe me it, that's the only way.

Hope Ahmad will read this..

Thanks all,

Regards,

Ben

a.gneady
Site Admin

Post by a.gneady » 2013-10-12 14:57

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the tip ... it's a very insightful one.
Right now for many frameworks, I see Bootstrap integration at the top priority.
Incidentally, this is exactly the major change in the new version that I'll be releasing within a few days. Bootstrap is an amazing tool, and the new release uses bootstrap for all the views to create very neat and responsive pages. This would also make re-styling of applications very easy by simply replacing the bootstrap css file with any of the thousands available online.
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

bambinou
Veteran Member

Post by bambinou » 2013-10-12 15:49

Ahmad,

Thank you so much for the response!! You are a "GINI" !!!! :-)))
Wow, the new release will really rock!

Can't wait to get it....Hope we will receive emails notifications as I really do not want to miss this!

Thank you,

Ben

a.gneady
Site Admin

Post by a.gneady » 2013-10-14 01:02

Here is a quick "teaser": http://bigprof.com/appgini/appgini-bootstrap-themes

I'm trying my best to launch the beta this week.

bambinou
Veteran Member

Post by bambinou » 2013-10-14 09:58

wowowowowow!!!!

I want it, I want it !!!!

Please Ahmed, give us a release date ahahha, this is fantastic!

Regards,

Ben