Dropdowns/Lookups - just getting the spinning cog

If you're a new user of AppGini, feel free to ask general usage questions, or look for answers here.
achundee

Dropdowns/Lookups - just getting the spinning cog

Post by achundee » 2014-01-06 18:53

Hi all,

I have tried making a couple of lookups, but they only seem to work intermittently. When they aren't working, when I click the dropdown, I just get "searching" and the spinning cog. I have tried this in Chrome and IE as well. To create the lookup, I did the same as outlined in the "create application from scratch in 5 minutes" video.

Can anyone help with this please? Thanks in advance!

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: Dropdowns/Lookups - just getting the spinning cog

Post by KSan » 2014-01-06 19:49

I had this too when I was messing with separators between two fields that can be brought into a lookup. What's more if one lookup is messed up none of them on the same page will work. I guess this is because they all share one set of code. Suggest trying to turn them all off and bring them back one at a time to see which one is causing your problem. Good luck.

achundee

Post by achundee » 2014-01-07 10:52

Hi Ksan,

Yeah, I think you are on the right track there - but in this case, this is the only drop-down that is set up in the database. There was a different one, which I deleted, but I guess that something has gone wrong, in a similar manner to what you suggested. I still can't figure it out though!

Thanks!

a.gneady
Site Admin

Post by a.gneady » 2014-01-08 15:41

To help debug this issue, please try using the Firebug extension for Firefox ... Check the "Net" tab > XHR for any errors while opening the lookup drop-down. My guess is that probably one of the generated files is missing from your server -- in that case, uploading it would resolve the issue.
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

achundee

Post by achundee » 2014-01-09 18:27

I have seen in the response "invalid table or field".

Any ideas on how this would have come about please? Thanks!

NiKofTime

Post by NiKofTime » 2014-05-02 20:09

I am having the exact same problem. Did you ever get this figured out?

AhmedBR
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by AhmedBR » 2014-05-04 12:41

I had this problem once and recreating the lookup field solved the problem (that is delete the field recereate it, regenereate appgini files), give it a go and see what happens.
AppGini 22.14 - xampp 3.3.0 - PHP 7.4.30 - Summary reports - Calendar - Mass update - Messages - AppGiniHelper

NiKofTime

Post by NiKofTime » 2014-05-06 00:07

I have created a new database that was super simple with only one lookup and i have the same symptom. I loaded XAMPP on a spare system and uploaded the site there and it worked perfectly! so i think it has something to do with my hosting server but i have no idea what it could be.

achundee

Post by achundee » 2014-05-06 17:44

I basically gave up on using Appgini - the product (for me) was supposed to be a quick way of me being able to knock up a usable database. However, getting drawn into finding out what the problem was, proved to be too much of a time waster for me.

a.gneady
Site Admin

Post by a.gneady » 2014-05-06 21:35

Well .. the problem looks like some field is misconfigured ... In the next version due within a couple of weeks, there will be a diagnostic tool in the admin area to help fix schema issues and recreate any missing fields.
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

artemisia
Veteran Member

Post by artemisia » 2014-05-16 20:11

This can also be caused by missing php modules, specifically "iconv", Firebug will spit out an error msg if that's the problem. In that case you'll need to install the missing module to your php server.