Custom pages to nav doesn't work when users don't have permissions for all table_groups

If you're a new user of AppGini, feel free to ask general usage questions, or look for answers here.
graham
Veteran Member

Custom pages to nav doesn't work when users don't have permissions for all table_groups

Post by graham » 2020-10-30 18:20

I've added some custom pages as per - https://bigprof.com/appgini/help/advanc ... cess-pages - and applied the table_group as per - https://bigprof.com/appgini/help/advanc ... r-contents -. "table_group' is the index of table group, default is 0 (first table group)" so I have a table_group called 'Other' which is my sixth table group. Therefore I've said ''table_group' => 5,'. The problem is this works if a user has permission to view all six table_groups. I have Users who can only view 5 of the six table_groups and this means that my custom pages do not get appended to the 'Others' dropdown - they end up in an extraneous 'ghost' drop down with no name that appears after the 'Other's drop down because they don't have permission to see table_group 3, table_group 5 doesn't actually exist for them? (Does that make sense?) So my first thought is, instead of 'table_group' => 5,' in links-navmenu.php, the better way would seem to be to say - table_group' => 'Other' - in other words, reference the table_group name rather than a number. So I've spent an good while trying to figure out how to do that and can't. Can anybody help with how to do that - or an alternative solution? If so thanks very much. (Summary - recommended way of adding custom pages to normal nav links doesn't work for all users.)

graham
Veteran Member

Re: Custom pages to nav doesn't work when users don't have permissions for all table_groups

Post by graham » 2020-11-02 16:32

I appear to have found a work round so I'm posting it here in case it helps anyone else..
I created an extra table and allocated it to the table_group that wasn't appearing for some users (because they didn't have any permissions). And I ticked 'hide in nav bar' for the new table. Then in the Groups permission tables in my apps admin panel, I marked it as 'view all' (no to everything else).
Now, (a) anyone who can see all tables sees my custom files in the correct drop-down and (b) doesn't see the 'ghost' table in the drop down for the table_group I allocated it to and (b) anyone who can't see all tables still sees custom files in correct place.

The only loose end with my solution (as far as I can see for now), is that I quite explain confidently why it works. Any clarification welcome.