RFC Request for comments on technical documentation generator

This sub-forum is for discussing all topics related to AppGini Helper JavaScript Library, provided by bizzworxx as a third-party AppGini plugin.
jsetzer
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

RFC Request for comments on technical documentation generator

Post by jsetzer » 2020-02-09 13:16

Hi,

I've been working on a simple-to-use generator for rendering detailed technical documentation. This tool merges model information, descriptions and technical documentation from an AppGini project into a single-file html page. The rendered documentation file can be archived for your own docs or even given to your customers for their process documentation.

Sample output

The following html file has been generated from an axp project file. All tables, columns and even foreign-key relationships (lookups) are documented.

chrome_V8PNnpV9fZ.png
chrome_V8PNnpV9fZ.png (70.93 KiB) Viewed 5364 times

I have attached sample documentations of AppGini's open source projects (which are available here: https://bigprof.com/appgini/free-open-s ... plications)

Every .zip file available for download (below) contains exactly one html file which includes the whole documentation including images and diagrams based on one project.

Simply download a zip, open it and doubleclick the index file insize the zip. You don't have to extract, just doubleclick is enough.

I would be very happy if you could have a look and give me some feedback. Thank you!

Best,
Jan

PS: If you like to get the documentation of your specific project, you can send your zipped axp file to me (PM) and I will return a zipped html documentation file of your axp project.
Kind regards,
<js />

My AppGini Blog:
https://appgini.bizzworxx.de/blog

You can help us helping you:
Please always put code fragments inside [code]...[/code] blocks for better readability

AppGini 24.10 Revision 1579 + all AppGini Helper tools

onoehring
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: RFC Request for comments on technical documentation generator

Post by onoehring » 2020-02-10 07:46

Hi Jan,

I took a quick look. And at this time I have not a lot more to add - but:

- Are you displaying somewhere the "Application technical documentation" the developer can input into AG directly? Maybe there is a chance somehow to connect those two. I am attaching a screenshot (even though the AG technical docs still don't show here :´-( )
ec2020-06.png
ec2020-06.png (7.33 KiB) Viewed 5309 times
Olaf

jsetzer
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by jsetzer » 2020-02-10 07:59

onoehring wrote:
2020-02-10 07:46
Are you displaying somewhere the "Application technical documentation" the developer can input into AG directly?
Hi Olaf,

thanks for your feedback.

Of course I do integrate the technical docs of the AppGini project, if this is available (in newer versions of AppGini):

Input
AppGini_R8cq2xA8MP.png
AppGini_R8cq2xA8MP.png (34.75 KiB) Viewed 5307 times

Output
chrome_q8q3bXi1x0.png
chrome_q8q3bXi1x0.png (33.38 KiB) Viewed 5307 times

It is the same for table tec-docs, table-description, column tec-docs and column-description.

The reason you don't see it in the attached docs is, that there is no technical documentation inside those (older) open source projects.

Feel free to send me one of your axp's including tec-docs and I with send you the rendered doc.

Once again thank for your feedback!
Best,
Jan
Kind regards,
<js />

My AppGini Blog:

Please always put code fragments inside [code]...[/code] blocks for better readability

bescott53

Post by bescott53 » 2020-04-24 21:35

Hi Jan, would the generator automatically populate all that info?

David Soul
Veteran Member

Post by David Soul » 2020-04-25 02:50

Really slick Jan!

Will you be offering this as a product? I certainly could make good use of it on a project I'm working on for a charitable organization and it would be a great tool for them when I leave the organization in a year from now.
David HC Soul

Core::AppGini 5.93
Plugins: Search Page Maker + Summary Reports + Mass update plugin
Bizzworxx: AppGini Helper JavaScript Library + AppGini Helper Detail View Plug-in + AppGini Helper pack
Utilities: Global Search utility

jsetzer
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by jsetzer » 2020-04-27 03:55

Hi, thanks for your feedback.
Will you be offering this as a product?
That was one idea. But the demand is so low, that releasing and maintaining will not pay off in years. Maybe some day the docs generator will be part of a bigger software suite having several functions I'm using for my own projects.
Kind regards,
<js />

My AppGini Blog: