Theme compatible with the previous version

Please report bugs and any annoyances here. Kindly include all possible details: steps to reproduce, expected result, actual result, screenshots, ... etc.
pgkounelas

Theme compatible with the previous version

Post by pgkounelas » 2013-10-29 18:00

I've tried the new version 5.20 which is nice, but not useful for programs with databases.
There should be also a theme compatible with the previous version 5.12, but to have the same functions with the new.
I think other users want the same.
I hope this will quickly become.

djb2002

Re: Theme compatible with the previous version

Post by djb2002 » 2013-10-31 19:10

Are you meaning the option to have the exact same format as previous versions (ie, without any theme) ?

AhmedBR
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by AhmedBR » 2013-11-04 10:24

Yes, I think he means that.

I am also after the same, have the previous theme with the bug fixes in 5.2
The previous theme is very good for business purposes where we are very interested in functionality and not fancy looks.

Fancy looks are very good for other applications (it is nice to have as I am developing this type too).
AppGini 22.14 - xampp 3.3.0 - PHP 7.4.30 - Summary reports - Calendar - Mass update - Messages - AppGiniHelper

apirnar
Veteran Member

Post by apirnar » 2013-11-07 19:11

I'd like to preface any critiques or suggestions I make by saying that AppGini is very impressive, especially for the price and ease of setting something up working quickly, and I'd also like to state that Ahmad is doing a wonderful job. Having said that, I do feel there is more value going forward in what I’d call structural features and improvements rather than cosmetic themes.

For the looks, some additional parameters to control the layout of fields on the generated detail pages, to place multiple fields on one line or to place them in some grid for instance, would go a long way. But for right now specifically recreating the old view would be great. Also, am I the only one where the new default view generates a bunch of links and a rather crude look where some of the buttons are repeated? (I tried on multiple devices/screens.)

PS. I posted the same issue in the getting started forum as I thought this might be an initial setup issue to do with the default view or such. http://forums.appgini.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=833)

I migrated to 5.20 but the record detail view -for our specific usage- is a disappointment.
Our application is industrial and the old detail view with field names and contents on same line was very effective. We had it working on large screens as well as handheld devices. In fact I was hoping to find a way to put more than one short fields per line. Now each field takes up 2 lines. The new look is wasting up a lot of pixels from this perspective, as we really want to fit in a lot of info for expert users using the same pages hundreds of times daily, rather than clarity with lots of space for occasional or new users of the application.

Is there a way to recreate something like the pre-Bootstrap detail view without having to design a template manually? Is purchasing a 3rd party template (not a theme, themes of colors is largely irrelevant for us) possible for this?
Perhaps I am missing something?
Thanks.

apirnar
Veteran Member

Post by apirnar » 2013-11-08 00:06

A work with/around: I've found it to be somewhat compacted by using the Bootstrap theme while setting the browser zoom to 75% or so and Bootstrap will then show one field name and field content per line in detail view. It still wastes vertical space between the lines but is better than otherwise for our immediate need anyway. An option for a condensed old style layout would still be preferable, but thought I would share this option too.

a.gneady
Site Admin

Post by a.gneady » 2013-11-11 02:29

The new themes are not only cosmetic, they are responsive (scale nicely for any device/screen size), they are cross-browser compatible, they are standards-compliant, they are open source and backed by a large community. That being said, I do agree that they might indeed be wasting a lot of space. So, I added a new theme in 5.21 named "Bootstrap_compact" with a smaller font size and less padding/spacing. Please give it a try and let me know your thoughts.
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

apirnar
Veteran Member

Post by apirnar » 2013-11-11 21:40

Thanks Ahmad, I just tested the Bootstrap_compact theme and it is much better space utilization and goes a ways to address our requirement.
But still not as efficient as the old theme, it would be great to be able to recreate the old theme as it was.
Also, I still think it would be super powerful if some of those spacing parameters could be chosen by users before generating the templates.
(I can understand many reasons for not wanting to get into the "page layout design" business as there are a different universe of sophisticated tools, but the power of Appgini is its ability to generate the whole application fast and be immediately usable, so some layout parametrization would go a long ways in my view.)

maramk
Veteran Member

Post by maramk » 2013-11-19 12:39

Good afternoon, Ahmad

I just upgrade to AppGini 5.21 and is using Bootstrap Compact theme, which look great! However, I want the login panel to be centered on the page, at this stage it is displayed on the righthand side - I was looking on the bootstrap compact.css file but could not get wiser. Please assist.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Maramk

a.gneady
Site Admin

Post by a.gneady » 2013-11-30 11:07

I just upgrade to AppGini 5.21 and is using Bootstrap Compact theme, which look great! However, I want the login panel to be centered on the page, at this stage it is displayed on the righthand side - I was looking on the bootstrap compact.css file but could not get wiser. Please assist.
You don't need to edit the css file to center the login form .. in the generated login.php, find this code:

Code: Select all

col-sm-6 col-lg-8
and change it to:

Code: Select all

col-sm-3 col-lg-4
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

a.gneady
Site Admin

Post by a.gneady » 2013-11-30 11:10

Also, I still think it would be super powerful if some of those spacing parameters could be chosen by users before generating the templates.
The CSS file for bootstrap is not generated by AppGini ... it's just copied from the add-ons/themes folder ... but you can customize the CSS file at the official bootstrap site .. they have a generator at http://getbootstrap.com/customize/

apirnar
Veteran Member

Post by apirnar » 2013-12-08 19:03

Thanks Ahmad, for the definitive answer on how to customize using the bootstrap generator.
Being able to generate every aspect including looks now is awesome!

a.gneady
Site Admin

Post by a.gneady » 2014-01-02 19:19

apirnar wrote:Thanks Ahmad, for the definitive answer on how to customize using the bootstrap generator.
Being able to generate every aspect including looks now is awesome!
You're welcome ... The interface of the customize page might be a little complex because of the comprehensive list of options. But I believe this is the best tool to use for customizing Bootstrap. Here is a tip for handling color codes which are required by that page: you can use the color picker tool at www.colorpicker.com