Required field caption not displaying with red asterisk

Please report bugs and any annoyances here. Kindly include all possible details: steps to reproduce, expected result, actual result, screenshots, ... etc.
artemisia
Veteran Member

Required field caption not displaying with red asterisk

Post by artemisia » 2013-10-11 16:21

Using v5.12. I have two fields configured as not NULL, neither one shows the red asterisk in front of the field caption in the Detail View. One is a Text multiple-choice List Box, the other is Varchar radio button. I will get the error message when attempting to submit without values, but I don't see the expected field caption indicator like other fields. Workaround is to append "(required)" to the field caption.

Is this a known bug? Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks,
~Bob

artemisia
Veteran Member

Re: Required field caption not displaying with red asterisk

Post by artemisia » 2013-10-24 20:12

Followup to my first post: Does anyone know if this is actually a bug, or "as designed"? It would seem that the red mark should display on any field that's configured "not null", not just single-value fields. Field in mysql looks OK, and there are no other issues with these fields, display or operational. I found where the red asterisks seem to be coded - in *templateDV.html, using <%%TRANSLATION(*)%%>, but when I tried adding that code manually the page display was seriously malformatted.

any ideas?
~Bob

artemisia
Veteran Member

Post by artemisia » 2013-11-09 22:19

Have confirmed that this is a bug in pre-5.2 versions, it's fixed in 5.2.

However, as noted in another post in this forum, it seems that if field is required and there is a dropdown, instead of seeing an empty field to prompt user, it will fill with the first value in the list, which is very easy to overlook. This behavior will keep me from upgrading, hopefully will be fixed in next minor release.

a.gneady
Site Admin

Post by a.gneady » 2013-11-11 02:46

artemisia wrote:if field is required and there is a dropdown, instead of seeing an empty field to prompt user, it will fill with the first value in the list, which is very easy to overlook. This behavior will keep me from upgrading, hopefully will be fixed in next minor release.
This is now fixed in 5.21
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.