Access to Simultaneous Multiple User/Admin Login

Please report bugs and any annoyances here. Kindly include all possible details: steps to reproduce, expected result, actual result, screenshots, ... etc.
nisar

Access to Simultaneous Multiple User/Admin Login

Post by nisar » 2022-08-20 11:41

It has bee observed that appl has not been configured to ensure unique login of user.This has been exhibited by the ability of a user/admin to login into the system from multiple terminals simultaneously.

What is the methodology to ensure login of user credentials be restricted to a single instance only. :?:

jsetzer
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: Access to Simultaneous Multiple User/Admin Login

Post by jsetzer » 2022-10-17 10:14

Actually, I'm pretty happy that I can open the same web application in more than one tab and even in different browsers at the same time as the same user. From my point of view that's the way internet applications work. I'm using this standard-behaviour a lot for example for...
  • quickly testing different devices (or browsers)
  • opening Table View on one screen and multiple Detail Views in additional tabs or on another screen
  • for easy data comparison in split screen (left-right)
  • for easy copy/paste between two tabs or browsers (instead for navigating back and forth)
  • for "parking" a record (for later work).
For me, there are many scenarios for using the same web application across multiple tabs or even browsers.

(A) I think if someone really needs a single-tab-only solution, every instance will have to send a recurrent "I'm here"-signal to the server. If the server detects more than one signal for a certain user but different tab, it may return some "Close-Yourself" response to the client, and in Javascript those additional clients may remove or hide all visible content or redirect to some landing page or even logout (which will have an effect on the primary tab, if in the same browser).

But there are many questions left, for example: Which of the instances shall be treated as the primary instance and therefore shall remain open? The first-opened tab? The most-recently-opened tab? What if the user closes the primary instance? What if there is the Session-Timeout (+automatic logout) in the primary tab? Shall any of the others be re-enabled? And which one? What if you try to log-in from a different device? Do you want to disable previously started sessions in other devices? Or shall the second login be denied due to another running instance on a different machine? And I guess you will need some kind of browser-fingerprint for exactly identifying the instance.

I guess there is much more to think about before you start implementing such a solution and, personally, I cannot see the benefit - but my view is limited.

(B) A different approach could be embedding the application in your own fat-client webbrowser software, for example written in C#, using Chromium web browser control. Then you can control and limit usage by yourself. But this requires additionally programming skills.

(C) If I remember right there are packagers available, which provide a custom browser which will load exactly one URL at startup. But I don't know if any of these can be restricted to exactly one process-start per machine. There was a thread here long time ago.
Kind regards,
<js />

My AppGini Blog:
https://appgini.bizzworxx.de/blog

You can help us helping you:
Please always put code fragments inside [code]...[/code] blocks for better readability

AppGini 24.10 Revision 1579 + all AppGini Helper tools