Technical Documentation in the designer

Please report bugs and any annoyances here. Kindly include all possible details: steps to reproduce, expected result, actual result, screenshots, ... etc.
grimblefritz
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Technical Documentation in the designer

Post by grimblefritz » 2020-05-08 12:47

I am finally back to being able to do some development with AG. I am glad a feature I often requested - the technical documentation in the builder - is added. But I'm sad it isn't fully baked.

Specifically, while I can enter and edit documentation in the builder app, I cannot view it while doing the initial building. The area shows "Can't reach this page". This is true whether the project has been saved or is still unsaved.

A quick note here. From another thread, I saw the instruction to try the theme preview, which also writes to local/temp. That works, so it's not a permissions issue.

Pulling up the properties of the documentation view area, the resource being called for is:

Code: Select all

res://ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff.htm#file:///C:/Users/XYZ/AppData/Local/Temp/appgini-resources/tech-documentation.html
What I find is that the file being requested doesn't exist. (I'm assuming the documentation is being stored in the axp file, and only writing to temp/appgini-resources for the purpose of viewing.) My guess is the res: component is an artifact caused by the missing file:.

As I said, this is the same whether the project is unsaved or saved. In this particular case, it is after the project has already been saved into a folder on the desktop. It is, however, BEFORE I have generated the project.

Ok, generate.

AFTER I generate the project, things change somewhat. Now, the documentation is displayed in the builder. Pulling the properties I see the URL resource is somewhat different:

Code: Select all

file:///C:/Users/XYZ/AppData/Local/Temp/appgini-resources/tech-documentation.html
That is the same file location, but the res: is gone (probably because the file is found.)

So...

BEFORE generating - whether or not the project has been saved - there is a URL with a res: component, a file that doesn't exist, and therefore only the error output "Can't reach this page".

AFTER generating, there is a URL sans res: and the file exists in local/temp, and the documentation is displayed.

Maybe this will help trace back to what is happening in the pre-generation state? Which seems to be, the local/temp file is not being written.

I would LOVE for this documentation to be visible from the get-go, without having to first generate. It seems like it must be an odd set of circumstances that the local/temp files aren't written unless the project has been generated (since the local/temp files must be written at page creation to ensure they reflect the latest content.)

Lastly - more of a feature request - can you please make the doc view about 2x or even 4x larger vertically? Or, give an option in AG settings to specify the size we would like?

Thanks!