CSV Import chokes on special characters

Please report bugs and any annoyances here. Kindly include all possible details: steps to reproduce, expected result, actual result, screenshots, ... etc.
KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

CSV Import chokes on special characters

Post by KSan » 2014-06-20 20:04

I am observing a new issue. Well, its not exactly new as I recall seeing it last year as well but I'm not sure if I reported it back then so here it goes...

I have an Excel file where I receive data. I save this Excel file as CSV and then use the AppGini Admin utility to upload the data into AppGini. I'm seeing that the text where there is a special character is chopped off. Record is still imported with the other fields intact and the data in the affected field is there too but only until the point where the special character was found.

Seems like the import process needs a long overdue repair / improvement. It can't be reliably used in its current form for any dataset of large volume. Too much cleanup work afterwards... Hope this can be made a priority in the not too distant future as it affects anyone and everyone who needs to move existing data into their new AppGini project.

a.gneady
Site Admin

Re: CSV Import chokes on special characters

Post by a.gneady » 2014-06-22 03:48

Could you post a sample of the part of the CSV file where this issue happens? Also, what is the character encoding you set in your AppGini project?
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by KSan » 2014-06-22 18:09

Ahmad,

Thanks for your kind interest. I sent you the excel & csv samples again. Actually they are the same files I had sent last year in June. I hope they don't fall through the cracks again for another year. I am using UTF8 on MySQL. I appreciate your efforts to resolve these import issues.

Best regards,
Kerem

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by KSan » 2014-08-08 00:09

Ahmad, can you kindly provide a fix for this issue soon? It is now more than a year old issue. Thanks much!!!