Database independent display fields

Wish to see a specific feature/change in future releases? Feel free to post it here, and if it gets enough "likes", we'd definitely include it in future releases!
Johnk
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by Johnk » 2013-01-09 04:09

These are fields we can place anywhere on the Detail View to assist the user. They should be able to display something that's NOT stored in the database:

Sub Total: (qty * price). There's often no need to store this value in the database.

Or in my case: Membership Status: (if due date >= today, status = "Financial", else status = "Unfinancial".

a.gneady
Site Admin

Re: Database independent display fields

Post by a.gneady » 2013-01-09 05:05

Yes, I plan to implement such feature in future releases, but haven't decided yet if I'll implement it as an actual field with a calculated value, or as a "virtual" field that is only displayed in AppGini application but not stored in the database.

What do you think?
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

Johnk
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by Johnk » 2013-01-09 09:12

Hi Ahmad, I hope the new forum is kind to you.

I was thinking Virtual fields, mainly because I'm looking at designing a general ledger and lots of calculations don't need to be stored in the database. Virtual fields would hopefully change as soon as the variable us updated, rather than hang on to old values until the database is re-accessed.

When you say "only displayed in Appgini", I assume you mean the generated Appgini PHP application.

a.gneady
Site Admin

Post by a.gneady » 2013-01-09 15:52

When you say "only displayed in Appgini", I assume you mean the generated Appgini PHP application.
Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by KSan » 2013-01-10 05:25

I think supporting both virtual calculated fields as well as calculated db fields would be terrific. If I had to choose only one I would go for virtual option as we can already do calculated db fields through the use of hooks. Thanks for your efforts.

uwe

Post by uwe » 2013-01-10 10:05

I think, it is a 'must', to have non-database fields.
And it is necessary to have fields to make a brake or linefeed in the view.

I have a table with about 40 fields, you can see it not at one page. I have to scroll sideward.
Thats not comfortable!!!!!!
If you have a field 'new line' or some else, you have the hole table in one view.
And it would be nice, to have only view-fields, no databasefields.

And I think, when I pay about 64 € it is a must.

Uwe