No reset password for selected group

The recommended method of customizing your AppGini-generated application is through hooks. But sometimes you might need to add functionality not accessible through hooks. You can discuss this here.
Melroy

No reset password for selected group

Post by Melroy » 2018-01-29 16:14

Hi,
I am using version 5.7 rev 1020.

How can I stop one particular group ("members") from resetting the password which is assigned annually by admin. I have very little coding experience but am happy to insert/delete scripts kindly provided by others.

R Tammam
Veteran Member

Re: No reset password for selected group

Post by R Tammam » 2018-02-19 00:26

Hello Melroy,

the reset password section appears in 2 case
1- membership_profile.php
2- in the login page

for the first case , you can add a piece of code in footer extras page , to detect the user group, and if he is one of who are not allowed hide the reset passowrd for him

and for the second case , in membership_passwordReset.php , you can use the email or the user name to detect the user group
and if he is a member of a group who are not allowed to reset their passwords , redirect him to the home page

Melroy

Post by Melroy » 2018-02-23 11:18

Hi R Tammam,
Thank you for your reply which is very helpful as it will direct me to the areas where I can add/edit the code. Now I just need to work out what piece of code I need. I would appreciate any help from anyone on this please.

R Tammam
Veteran Member

Post by R Tammam » 2018-03-28 20:34

Hello Melroy,
here's the code you will need , it works for me
you will put it into membership_passwordReset.php
the position of the code will be from line 110 to 127
https://www.screencast.com/t/2yFtbNRqeU

and here's the code
youw will only change $not_allowed_groups = array ('students'); with your not allowed students

Code: Select all

$not_allowed_groups = array ('students');
		if( $username ){
			$reset_coulmn = "memberID";
			$reset_value = $username;
		}else if ( $email ){
			$reset_coulmn = "email";
			$reset_value = $email;
		} 

$query = "select membership_groups.name from membership_groups,membership_users 
			where  membership_users.groupID = membership_groups.groupID and {$reset_coulmn} = '{$reset_value}' ";

$user_group = sqlValue ( $query ,$q);

if ( in_array ($user_group, $not_allowed_groups) ){
			header("Location:index.php");
			exit;
		}
i hope it would help you
Regards,
Reham

Melroy

Post by Melroy » 2018-04-15 11:02

Hi Reham,
Sorry for the delay in responding to your last suggestion. I will give it a try.

Many thanks
Melroy

Melroy

Post by Melroy » 2018-04-15 15:33

Hi Reham,
I tried the code you provided but it did not work for me. I copied and pasted the code in position 110 changing only $not_allowed_groups = array ('students'); to $not_allowed_groups = array ('members');

I was still able to change the password for a user in the group 'members' when logged in.

I did notice that $reset_coulmn = "memberID"; might have been $reset_column = "memberID"; so I corrected it where appropriate but to no avail.

Any thoughts? Have I missed something?

Regards
Melroy

R Tammam
Veteran Member

Post by R Tammam » 2018-04-18 14:41

Melory, i think there was something wrong in mentioning the place to put you code ,
so i recorded a screen cast for you explaining where to put your code for the first time and testing it on my project
https://www.screencast.com/t/mJghGyhXLc

Melroy

Post by Melroy » 2018-07-04 10:01

Thank you R Tammam for your assistance, Problem has now been resolved. Sorry for not thanking you earlier.