Storing and Retrieving Multiple Keywords from One Field

The recommended method of customizing your AppGini-generated application is through hooks. But sometimes you might need to add functionality not accessible through hooks. You can discuss this here.
toolie

Storing and Retrieving Multiple Keywords from One Field

Post by toolie » 2016-10-02 08:02

Hi there, I'm creating my own file/resource tracking system with storage online but I'm only storing the location of the file, not the file itself within my AppGini project. I am creating the requisite fields as metadata for each file type, but what I'm stuck on is the best way to store keywords in a field that I can later search on using the LIKE operator in SQL.

You've seen the kind of jQuery-based display of tags in a field where you type in a keyword followed by a comma, and eventually all those words are stored in a single field in MySQL. I don't want to create a predetermined list of keywords; I want freeform entry of all keywords into one field per record.

I want the option of having 2, 3, or 4-word keyword phrases. I plan to create a custom display page containing thumbnails of the files, and I want to be able to retrieve and display the keywords below the thumbnail. I'm assuming that the best field type to use is a TEXT data type. From a data retrieval and parsing point of view, would you recommend storing the keywords followed by a semicolon, or enclosed in brackets, or... ? I thought about trying to store some kind of JSON string, but I couldn't see how that overhead would benefit me in this case.

I'd really appreciate some guidance on this ASAP.

Thanks!
Toolie