Giving the Public read access to filtered data ...

Discussions related to customizing hooks. Hooks are documented at http://bigprof.com/appgini/help/advanced-topics/hooks/
onthego

Giving the Public read access to filtered data ...

Post by onthego » 2023-12-04 23:36

Hi Everyone:

The challenge:
I would like to immediately present the Public with a field where they can enter a species' name and then perform a search on the existing Animal table that belongs to my Rehabilitation AppGini project. (The data set retrieved would be read-only.) I don't want the Public to have to sign into the project, click on the table, see all the unfiltered data, have to find the Filter area and then click on that because that is not very user friendly for the general population.

How do I do this?

(Using anonymous user means the Public can avoid the sign-in part, but will still have to click on the table, be bombarded with too much data (the full set of data in that table) and need to navigate to the Filter area.)

Note: I am using Search Page Maker (SPM) for signed-in users when they accessing the Animal table to make their updates/adds/deletes. If there was a way that the Public could be shown the SPM immediately without having to sign in and make several clicks to get to the SPM area, that would be the ideal solution. The signed-in users need the same filter as the Public when searching the Animal table. It is simply a field that asks for the species' name.

a.gneady
Site Admin

Re: Giving the Public read access to filtered data ...

Post by a.gneady » 2023-12-06 19:34

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but did you try enabling the option "Filter before showing table view" in AppGini for the concerned table?
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

onthego

Re: Giving the Public read access to filtered data ...

Post by onthego » 2023-12-07 15:55

I have 2 groups of users for that table: the Public, and users that already have sign-in accounts for updating that table. I would like the Public to see the Search Page Maker screen (where I have defined one field in which they can type in something to search the table) but I would like the other update users to continue to use the system as is where they have to log in, go to that table, update it, and can apply the AppGini Search Page Maker (SPM) filter if they wish, or not.

So (I think) the Public would be anonymous users (read only, no signin necessary) but usually with anonymous users table #1's bar is the first thing they see. I don't want that. I would like the anonymous users to see the existing SPM filter field (so they can input their search word) immediately without having to click anything else first.

In other words, after entering my site, the anonymous users would see the SMP filter field for that table immediately and not have to click on anything to get there. So they would have access to the SPM filter screen without seeing the bar for table #1 first.