AppGini 5.10 beta and msstdfmt.dll error

Wish to see a specific feature/change in future releases? Feel free to post it here, and if it gets enough "likes", we'd definitely include it in future releases!
peebee
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

AppGini 5.10 beta and msstdfmt.dll error

Post by peebee » 2013-04-30 03:23

Hi Ahmad,

Currently testing your V5.10 beta revision 530 and have encountered a possible bug you might need to have a look at. Looks like a required MSSTDFMT.DLL is not being installed/registered on installation.

I've installed the beta version to a Windows 7 64bit pc. Install went OK and the program operates but I encountered the following error when selecting the "AppGini Preferences" icon

Run-time error '713'
Class not registered
You may need the following file to be installed on your machine
MSSTDFMT.DLL

I also have AppGini V5.0 installed on the same machine and I don't receive that error which selecting preferences.

I checked C:\Windows\System32 & C:\Windows\sysWOW64 and no sign of MSSTDFMT.DLL I reinstalled AppGini 5.10 beta several times but it still failed to install the DLL file

I've fixed the problem on my own machine by downloading/installing/registering MSSTDFMT.DLL in the C:\Windows\sysWOW64 folder. All working well now!

Just thought you might like to know....

Perry

a.gneady
Site Admin

Re: AppGini Roadmap?

Post by a.gneady » 2013-04-30 05:57

Hi Perry,

I'm not sure but "msstdfmt.dll" is probably a system file that should come pre-installed with Windows. If not, I'll package it with the setup file .. I just need to see if anyone else is seeing this issue as well. Here is an official Microsoft link for downloading this file: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=12972

EDIT: I moved your question to a new topic since it was not related to the AppGini road map topic.
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

peebee
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: AppGini 5.10 beta and msstdfmt.dll error

Post by peebee » 2013-04-30 06:58

Thanks Ahmad. It certainly sounds like a system file but the strange thing is - AppGini V5.0 runs perfectly well (including the AppGini Preferences) without it being installed. V5.10 doesn't? I'm running both AppGini versions on the same machine. Tested many times with and without the DLL file.

From the limited information I could find on MSSTDFMT.DLL it looks to be a non-system process used by Microsoft's "Visual Studio" - source: http://www.processlibrary.com/directory ... dfmt/18957 I don't have Visual Studio installed?

That link you provided in your post: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=12972 seems to be for a tool to truncate large Outlook PST files in Windows 2000 & XP. I can't imagine that could be the solution? Possibly incorrect link?

PS: Thanks for moving the post. I would have added it to your "Beta Release" post but it's locked and there is no other appropriate category for bug reports on your forum at the moment. I though best post here on the forum rather than personal email to you for reasons you've explained - is it just my pc or others as well? For more testing, I'll install V5.10 on another clean PC I have here and report back.

peebee
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by peebee » 2013-04-30 07:28

Edit to above: I've just installed V5.10 beta to another Window 7 64bit machine here. Same run-time error occurred when selecting Appgini Preferences.

Been reading a bit more and it looks like MSSTDFMT.DLL might belong to VB6? Apparently MSSTDFMT.DLL is not installed by default on Windows 7 or 8?

That tool for truncating Outlook PST's in the Microsoft KB link that you provided in your earlier post is apparently created in VB6 and comes packed the MSSTDFMT.DLL source:http://superuser.com/questions/519841/g ... pplication

Hope that might help a little and thanks for your time and such a great program?

Tekno Venus
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by Tekno Venus » 2013-04-30 17:00

Hello,

I had the same issue and reported it to Ahmad as well. Identical scenario to you. Worked fine with v5.0, now errors with v5.10.

I found this post on MSAnswers --> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/offi ... 196113f0ea. The download link has been removed from the answer, but follow the instructions in the answer post with the DLL downloaded from here: http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-fil ... nload.html.

I've scanned the DLL from that site many times with VirusTotal, MBAM and AVAST, it's clean. Following the instructions in the top post in the MSAnswers thread fixes it.

I also have Visual Studio Express 2012 installed. Maybe that's the key? Not sure.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Stephen
Stephen Foulds

Admin, Sysnative Forums -- Sysnative Forums

a.gneady
Site Admin

Post by a.gneady » 2013-04-30 21:21

Thanks for the feedback. I'll package that DLL in the setup file tomorrow and update the beta link. You see the error in 5.10 and not in 5.0 because I added a tabs control in the preferences dialog that uses the concerned dll, but thought it came pre-shipped with Widows OS. Windows "DLL Hell" in action!
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

KSan
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by KSan » 2013-04-30 21:43

^^^ Another reason you should port AppGini to OSX... ;) ;) ;)

a.gneady
Site Admin

Post by a.gneady » 2013-05-02 16:31

KSan wrote:^^^ Another reason you should port AppGini to OSX... ;) ;) ;)
Actually I'm strongly considering a web-based solution ... that would not only work for Mac, but for Linux and mobile as well. But let's discuss this later in a separate thread.