CLICKABLE Address fields- google maps

Wish to see a specific feature/change in future releases? Feel free to post it here, and if it gets enough "likes", we'd definitely include it in future releases!
toconnell
Veteran Member

CLICKABLE Address fields- google maps

Post by toconnell » 2013-04-26 14:38

using something like mapof.it/ before the address to make it a clickable easy link to a google map automatically would be sooo nice..
So when we create an address field at anytime someone could just click the address and it would bring them to a (new page) google map of that address. it would be so nice to have that as an automatic field or something you could add when designing your database. This is so common on the web.

Even better if the field displayed the map instead of the long address, or you could hide the address in the grid view and just have the small icon or text like "click for map" on there.

Thanks,
Tina O'Connell
Tina O'Connell
Web Dev & Appgini FAN

toconnell
Veteran Member

Re: CLICKABLE Address fields- google maps

Post by toconnell » 2013-04-26 15:00

You could probably use the LINK BEHAVIOR /UPLOADS tab to do this.. just like you do with the email link...

Email link: Same as the web link option, except that the link will be treated as a mail link that opens the user's mail client (AppGini will automatically prepend 'mailto:' to the field contents).

but instead of prepending mailto: to the field perhaps you could append "mapof.it/" to it.. please see this website for what this does..
http://mapof.it/

but basically it makes the address a clickable link to a google map of that address..

I would love to know how I can do this manually for now. PRETTY PLEASE Ahmad. :)
Tina O'Connell
Web Dev & Appgini FAN

joebloogs

Post by joebloogs » 2013-05-03 00:41

I agree, this function would be fantastic to have

toconnell
Veteran Member

Post by toconnell » 2013-06-05 20:22

Ahmad,

Sorry I have been incognito, I actually had to have both my knees replaced.. serious pain!! but getting better now and this is my third day back to work. I have actually been working on a scheduling part of the database to integrate at home in PHP.. quite complex.. but I have not had the energy to do the promised online manual until now. I can work on it starting tomorrow night in the evenings again.

In the interim.. do you think this option is still possible? The clickable address fields using this mapof.it/ option?

Let me know. I will email you separately. Thanks bunches for all your help last month! It was a saving grace!
Tina O'Connell
Web Dev & Appgini FAN

a.gneady
Site Admin

Post by a.gneady » 2013-06-20 16:00

Sorry for the delay as I didn't check the forum recently .. Have been incognito myself due to being busy with the new release. I'm sorry to hear about your knees .. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Regarding prepending links with mapof.it/ or similar tools, I prefer modifying the template files and/or the hook files ... otherwise there is an endless array of similar urls .. Meanwhile, I'll consider adding an option for customizable prefixes and suffixes to field values in AppGini ... this way you can prefix a field value with something like

Code: Select all

<a href="http://mapof.it/
and add a suffix similar to

Code: Select all

">Map it</a>
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

toconnell
Veteran Member

Post by toconnell » 2013-06-27 15:46

I tried that..

I actually did the full HTML code like that in the options list for each one..
<a href="http://www.mapof.it//123 Bonita street, Bonita Springs, FL">Bonita</a> and clicked the loop up action to be like a website and still did not work.. not sure why. .

Any thoughts?
Tina O'Connell
Web Dev & Appgini FAN

toconnell
Veteran Member

Post by toconnell » 2013-11-04 22:19

Any luck on this?

Thanks,
Tina
Tina O'Connell
Web Dev & Appgini FAN