Hell with Git

Wish to see a specific feature/change in future releases? Feel free to post it here, and if it gets enough "likes", we'd definitely include it in future releases!
DevGiu
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Hell with Git

Post by DevGiu » 2016-09-29 15:40

Hi,

I really appreciate if AppGini project sync with database,and a sync between 2 projects could be possible ASAP (in version coming out now please?).I think (just my opinion) is not difficult to do, and I'm running into a lot of issues.

I have different branches of my code for when I job from my laptop or from home and so on,I work on different issues,and when I try to merge,I run into problems with project. First,because all project file is in 1 line and I have to pretty print. Second,because order of tables (required to reorder in Home menu),then merge makes the job almost impossible because the code don't fits in the same place, and diff warning me about differences in some part of the project file, but are different fields.

Right now I noticed I can open 2 projects, and copy paste tables, but obviously, is a pain.
This 2 issues makes impossible to work directly with a database and work in team.I'm thinking to hire 2 developers, and I can't imagine how I will do it.
/Giuseppe
Professional Outsourcing Services

Noha Eshra

Re: Hell with Git

Post by Noha Eshra » 2016-10-03 10:35

Syncing two projects is outside the scope of AppGini, as it's not as simple as it sounds. There are many solutions that you can use for this. Instead of depending on Git to merge the project file, (which could indeed be very painful), you could use something like dropbox or Google drive to save the project on it, thus making sure all your PCs are accessing the same version of the project.

Moreover, dropbox supports versioning, which means you could revert to any previous version if you need to.

DevGiu
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by DevGiu » 2016-10-03 10:49

Yes, but the problem is the same, what happens when 2 devs are modifying the same project?
/Giuseppe
Professional Outsourcing Services

grimblefritz
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by grimblefritz » 2016-10-03 13:21

The AG Windows app is architected as a single user platform, so anything you do will have to be a hack. A very ugly hack, I suspect.

First, put the axp (project file) on a shared drive.

Second, generate to the shared drive. Slower, but I find it easier to manage whether I am a) working from home, b) working from the office, c) working from my laptop, or d) working at the client site. To do this, I use WebDrive (since I've used it for years already - no sense switching now!)

Third, in a team, you will have to lock the axp and by convention allow only one modifier. And, by convention, axp modifications are not finished until code is generated.

Fourth, on top of that I suppose you could use git, or svn, or whatever.

Personally, I wouldn't want to tackle it. I tried this before (with a different product) and it was a mess. Primarily because of the human factor. Getting people to follow procedures can be like herding cats!