Careful with redirection/subdomains

Got something cool to share with AppGini users? Feel free to post it here!
shasta59
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Careful with redirection/subdomains

Post by shasta59 » 2015-04-26 14:15

I am using 5.31 (please include version in any submission - it makes it easier for all to offer help)

Careful when you use redirection/subdomains to your app. (Using an extended url to point to go to original url. specific.yoursite.com )

Here is what happened.

I wanted a bit easier way to have participants get to the site. Site is mysite.com/foldername/index....

My provider allows me to setup subdomains. (Basically adding a word in front of the main domain and adding a period subdomain.mysite.com)

I setup reg.mysite.com and redirected to mysite.com/foldername/etc. I thought this would work great. It did! Went to the site etc. But when I had it look at a custom page I made in the site it would always say I was not logged in. After much investigation the solution was very simple. While the redirect worked fine I forgot the app would look for mysite.com/foldername/...

Having the extra word 'reg'.mysite.com in front caused some issues with the path. I fixed it by insuring my redirect was setup to fully go to the original site. I used a shortcut in the setup at my provider which worked fine all other times but not when the url was part of how the application knew where to go. Appgini application worked fine. It was my setting up of the redirect for this specific instance which was wrong.

Basically appgini code prevented me from accessing without the full correct path.

Once I figured this out it was fine.

Alan
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Using Appgini 5.50 -