Receiving this Error message

If you're a new user of AppGini, feel free to ask general usage questions, or look for answers here.
fmichael

Receiving this Error message

Post by fmichael » 2018-05-01 00:58

Hey everyone! I've started a new instance of Appgini, created everything the way I wanted, and uploaded to the web server using FTP. Launched the web page, went through the configurations and started the application in Admin mode to allow anonymous users the ability to view. Logged out of admin and the sight in general, viewed the web page as a guest and all works well UNTIL, I login back in as admin, click the Admin button and it takes back to the login page. Yes, I have clicked the remember me button. Here is the error that is logged in the file:

[30-Apr-2018 19:43:28 America/Chicago] PHP Warning: session_start() [<a href='function.session-start'>function.session-start</a>]: The session id is too long or contains illegal characters, valid characters are a-z, A-Z, 0-9 and '-,' in /home/checkmat/public_html/guns/ripley/lib.php on line 78

Evidently it doesn't like the session name.

Ahmad, if you're reading this, I did shorten the session name to "believe" minus the quotes, same issue.

If you have any suggestions are options...I'm all ears.

Thanks.

pbottcher
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: Receiving this Error message

Post by pbottcher » 2018-05-01 08:11

Hi fmichael,

can you clear the cookies. I had a similar issue which was resolved by clearing the cookies.

Hope that helps
Pascal
Any help offered comes with the best of intentions. Use it at your own risk. In any case, please make a backup of your existing environment before applying any changes.

D Oliveira
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by D Oliveira » 2018-05-01 20:28

cookies on appgini are often problematic, i had to give up the toggle collumns feature because i had to get rid of the cookies, the headersize gets too big and give a bad request error, the main cloud service that appgini suggests is bluehost and they do not let u customize the size LimitRequestFieldSize to 32kb ( default 8kb), i suggest u remove cookies from datalist.php and see what happens

a.gneady
Site Admin

Post by a.gneady » 2018-05-02 09:32

[30-Apr-2018 19:43:28 America/Chicago] PHP Warning: session_start() [<a href='function.session-start'>function.session-start</a>]: The session id is too long or contains illegal characters, valid characters are a-z, A-Z, 0-9 and '-,' in /home/checkmat/public_html/guns/ripley/lib.php on line 78
The error message indicates that the session name might be too long or have invalid characters. Session name is the same as the app name you set for your project inside AppGini (the name of the top node in the left tree view that lists your tables and fields) .. So, try changing that name to make it shorter.
i had to give up the toggle collumns feature because i had to get rid of the cookies, the headersize gets too big and give a bad request error
We'll inspect this issue and find a way of shortening the cookie size to prevent the error.
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

fmichael

Post by fmichael » 2018-05-03 00:24

D Oliveira,

I deleted the cache on my computer and still no go. When I logon to the app (@geekstorage, which is where the file the app is hosted), I can login as admin but when I click the admin area button, straight back to login I go.

I looked in the datalist.php file, and only found several lines of code pointing to "cookies", do I remove all of the lines or what would you suggest?

A.gneady, I shortened the session name to just three letters. Still no go.

Thanks to all!

peebee
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Post by peebee » 2018-05-03 04:35

What is your session name?

Have a look for this line below in the generated lib.php at around line 76. That's where your Users session ID is set.

@session_name('what-is-here');

For Admin, you will also have to find the same line in admin/incCommon.php, at around line 54

@session_name('what-is-here');

Have you tried changing those session names to something simple with no irregular/illegal characters? Should hopefully fix the PHP Warning: session_start()

fmichael

Post by fmichael » 2018-05-07 03:20

Peebee,

Here is what is in the lib.php file:

@session_name('RIP');
session_start();

So you see, the session name is all caps and only three letters. I originally had all lower case rip, it still failed, so I tried all upper case still no luck.

The session_start, is that correct or should it have RIP in the parenthesis there too.

I'm beginning to think it is the way php is configured at my host. Why you ask, well because at home on Windows 2012 server it works perfectly. It also works perfectly on my Ubuntu Linux server. So it is sure pointing to my host.

But hey, I'm willing to try anything. Thanks for all the suggestions...keep them coming will find a solution.