suggestion for project design

If you're a new user of AppGini, feel free to ask general usage questions, or look for answers here.
R Scott

suggestion for project design

Post by R Scott » 2018-03-05 03:02

using ver 5.7

I am a teacher with a goal of converting a student workbook to an online app. I teach an outreach program to 2500 students a year and would like have a online method of students accessing the work they enter.

Appgini seems to work perfectly for this project except I would like only a few fields to show at a time with the ability to go to another page to enter a few more fields. The goal is to have the same "look" as the paper workbook.

The second problem is user information. From what I have read there does not seem to be an easy way to import a csv file for login credentials into mysql. I wonder if creating a generic class login for all students to use and using a custom search page to enter a code that would retrieve only a specific students results would work?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Richard

R Tammam
Veteran Member

Re: suggestion for project design

Post by R Tammam » 2018-03-26 07:20

Hello R Scott,
could you please capture your paper workbook , for more visualization of what you need ?

R Tammam
Veteran Member

Post by R Tammam » 2018-03-27 06:31

and here's another suggestion for importinf a csv file for login credentials

you will import using phpmyadmin ,
and you csv file should be formatted as you table format , your password should be hashed using md5 hash, and make sure of inserting the groupID value

R Scott

Post by R Scott » 2018-04-02 19:45

Attached are a few pages to help visualize the project. http://www.richardscott.us/Sample.pdf
  • I would like each student to have a login id (imported from a class roster)
  • Each of the printed pages would be listed in a table of contents with a link to edit the information.
  • The bottom of each form would have a "save and return to table of contents" button.
The area I need help with is linking to only a few database items at one time.

The goal of this project is to allow students to access the information from home and share with parents. I am trying to demonstrate that using technology in the classroom can increase student engagement with the need for expensive pay-per-student systems. Any feedback would be appreciated.

R Tammam
Veteran Member

Post by R Tammam » 2018-04-05 13:33

Hello R scott ,
i have an idea for you , i hope it would help you
i think you can have 2 tables
first table call it sheets it will just have 2 fields one sheet number and the second one will be sheets it will be upload field , you will use the second field for uploading the sheets this idea will give you the opportunity to put as much sheets as you can .
you role will putting (uploading sheets in this table)

the second table will be sheet answers
it's fields will be
sheetid(lookupfield to sheetid in the first table) , number of fields = max number of questions you can have in any sheet to explain this point more assume that the max number of questions you can have an any sheet = 20 questions so here you will make 20 fields each for each question , and the last field will be automatic filled value for student name

here's the students expected scenario , the user will open sheet answers table , then add new record , he will choose the sheet id he will answer , beside it a + sign will be exist when he press it he would able to view the sheet it self , he will use the number of fields to answer the questions in the sheet , he will use the first field to answer the first question and so on ,then he will save his record

i hope that this idea would help you more in your project

Regards,
Reham