Hosting AppGini apps on Amazon Web Services (AWS)

If you're a new user of AppGini, feel free to ask general usage questions, or look for answers here.
David

Hosting AppGini apps on Amazon Web Services (AWS)

Post by David » 2018-02-26 19:33

Going to host an AppGini-generated PHP app on a Linux instance in AWS soon. Does anyone have a particular preference for the Linux image (AMI) to recommend?

Just checking to see whether there are AMIs people have been using with good experience. I will be happy to share my research and experience after I put together a few trial runs and see what works well.

a.gneady
Site Admin

Re: Hosting AppGini apps on Amazon Web Services (AWS)

Post by a.gneady » 2018-02-28 11:43

I'd recommend Amazon Linux 2. Please check this official tutorial to install a LAMP stack to an Amazon Linux 2 AMI: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/late ... nux-2.html
:idea: AppGini plugins to add more power to your apps:
  • DataTalk is an innovative AppGini plugin based on ChatGPT that allows you to interact with your AppGini database using natural language questions, without writing any SQL. Check the demo video
  • Mass Update plugin: Update multiple records at once and improve your workflow efficiency.
  • Check our other plugins and get a generous discount of up to 30% when buying 2 or more plugins.

David

Post by David » 2018-02-28 17:19

Ahh thank you very much, Ahmad. I will go check it out.

David

Post by David » 2018-03-16 03:31

As it turned out, I needed to provision this LAMP server in the AWS GovCloud region. Below are the notes I captured, and perhaps it could be helpful to someone down the road.

This are my notes for provisioning a LAMP server in the Amazon Web Services (AWS) GovCloud region using Amazon’s Linux AMI. I had to set up a LAMP server and secured it with HTTPS. These notes outlined my installation process during the week of 12 March 2018.

My goal for this document is to list the various reference points where you can find the step-by-step setup instructions for this provisioning task. This post will also comment on the obstacles I had run into during the provisioning, and what I needed to do get past those obstacles.

Abbreviations
• VPC-UG: Amazon Virtual Private Cloud User Guide, released 29 November 2017.
• EC2-UG: Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud User Guide for Linux Instances. There are a number of revisions for this user guide. For this project, I used the version that was released on 9 February 2018. This version talks about setting up the LAMP stack and SSL/TLS with the original Amazon Linux AMI. The more recent user guides cover the newer Amazon Linux 2 AMI.
• ROUTE53-DG: Amazon Route 53 Developer Guide, released 5 December 2017.

Requirements:
Need to provision a Linux server with the LAMP stack in AWS GovCloud region. The server will host PHP-based web applications. All HTTP traffic will be re-directed and forced to use HTTPS.

Background and Prerequisite Information
• Needed to sign-up for an AWS GovCloud account. The GovCloud account is going to be a separate account from your regular AWS account with a different account ID. See the web page, https://docs.aws.amazon.com/govcloud-us ... gn-up.html, for signing up.

Tools Used
• Web browsers
• AWS Console
• PuTTY
• WinSCP

Configure virtual private cloud (VPC)
When setting up the GovCloud account, AWS created a default VPC for that account. That default VPC had three subnets configured with an Internet gateway attached to each one of them.
For the one and only public-Internet-accessible server I needed, the default VPC would have worked. I did not use the default VPC. Instead, I rolled my own VPC with one public subnet and one private subnet.
If you need more info on Amazon VPC, check out their VPC-UG or many documented instructions available on the net. For training purposes, I personally use the AWS course with Linux Academy. [https://linuxacademy.com/]

Provision an instance with the Amazon Linux AMI and Elastic IP
• Provision a Linux instance with Elastic IP: Because the Amazon Linux 2 AMI is not yet available on GovCloud, I had to use the version 1 of the Linux AMI.
• Set up the DNS entry: I had an inactive domain, so I used Route 53 to configure the DNS zone and host entries. Please note that for a server hosted in GovCloud, the Route 53 settings will need to be configured from the non-GovCloud console. Another word, you will not find Route 53 in the GovCloud console. I used the instructions outline in ROUTE53-DG pages 213-216.
• Install the LAMP Stack: The instructions on pages 41-46 held up well for my installation. I configured Apache for HTTPS in the following section.
• Enable SSL/TLS: Refer to pages 58-72 in EC2-UG. Since I did not have a certificate to use, I opted to obtain a cert with EFF through the Let’s Encrypt program. The certbot instructions described on pages 69-72 worked only partially. Certbot aborted in the middle of the installation and complained about not able to find a virtual host. Repeated attempts of certbot -auto option did not work for me. I finally resorted to this blog post [https://nouveauframework.org/blog/insta ... zon-linux/] as it helped me generate the three cert files I needed. I updated the ssl.conf manually and got the HTTPS going. At this point, the HTTP was not being redirected to HTTPS. Another similar inquiry on Stack Exchange pointed me to run the “certbot -apache” command. By doing that, I was able to force the HTTP to HTTPS redirect without needing to go hunt down the config file I needed to update. I also configured certbot in crontab to check for auto-renew daily.
• Install phpMyAdmin: Needed to do a few things with PHP config because phpMyAdmin was complaining about the BlowFish secret and configuration storage. This blog post got me through the configuration tasks [https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-16-04].

Post-AppGini App Deployment
After deploying the AppGini app, two more things surfaced.
• The GD support in PHP was requested. It was a matter of installing the correct GD version by using the commands “php -version” and “sudo yum install php70-gd” for the PHP 7.0 environment I assembled.
• I also needed to reset the ownership and file permissions for the “images” folder inside my AppGini application. AppGini was complaining about not able to write into it. I followed the instructions from page 44 of EC2-UG and resolved that.

This is what I wrote and could think of so far. If you will be attempting a similar installation, I hope these can help in some way. My next project is do a similar install using Amazon Linux 2 AMI in a non-GovCloud environment. I will be checking out the Linux AMI version 2 instructions in the user guide. Will write down what I run into and share my findings later.