Selecting many from other table

If you're a new user of AppGini, feel free to ask general usage questions, or look for answers here.
Andy Sundstrom

Selecting many from other table

Post by Andy Sundstrom » 2017-11-15 09:23

Hello! I am trying to make something like this:

One table with books inluding a field for authors.
One table with authors

Now i want the books table field form to be able to select multiple authors (and display them in the books view), how do i manage this?
So far ive only managed to select one of the authors with a lookup function. Many books have multiple authors so this function is critical for me.

thanks!

Abeer

Re: Selecting many from other table

Post by Abeer » 2017-11-21 07:45

I don't think there is a way to select multiple values for a lookup field but you can manage this in a different way.

you have books table and authors table, you need a third table let's name it (books_authors) table, that table will have two lookup fields:
first (book: points to books table).
second (author: points to authors table).

this third table will be like a child table for both tables and you can enable displaying records of that child table in books detail view so you will be able to view authors of each book in its detail view, you will be able to add new author for that book as well by inserting new record in books_authors table.

kindly check the following screen-cast and the uploaded photo for more clarification:
https://www.screencast.com/t/fkOkF04Q
Attachments
2017-11-21_0936.png
2017-11-21_0936.png (44.7 KiB) Viewed 2432 times