Update to latest included frameworks/libraries

Please report bugs and any annoyances here. Kindly include all possible details: steps to reproduce, expected result, actual result, screenshots, ... etc.
peebee
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Update to latest included frameworks/libraries

Post by peebee » 2024-03-08 03:46

Whilst I really do like Appgini very much and use it a lot, I wish any included javascript/external libraries or frameworks would be updated along with the rest of the application.

I see Prototype.js V1.7.1 is still being loaded in the current Appgini V24.10, just for the lightbox.

Apart from V1.7.1 (2014 release) not being the latest version of Prototype (latest is/was 1.7.3), that project has been dormant since 2015.

Prototype conflicts with other current javascript libraries and bootstrap. The fix I mentioned in my earlier post on the same topic from 2019 does seem to resolve most Prototype conflicts with V24.10 but it really shouldn't be necessary. Fix here: viewtopic.php?t=2869#p9242

I see Bootstrap in the latest Appgini is still V3.3.4, which was released way back in May 2015. That really should also be updated to current V5.x

For security purposes, 3rd party libraries are checked during penetration testing. If they are not current, they are required to be replaced. That is a pain I can do without.

Thanks, rant over.

onoehring
AppGini Super Hero
AppGini Super Hero

Re: Update to latest included frameworks/libraries

Post by onoehring » 2024-03-21 13:48

HI peebee,

interesting point that you mention pentests.
This, in my opinion, is a good point why libraries used by AG should be updated by the AG team. Otherwise, AG might just become some tool for private sites as providing secure software is an important point for professional developers.

+1 for your idea of updating old libraries.
Olaf